Thursday, 14 August 2008

Making Cut-outs


I am still having a good time experimenting in my art journal. Why did it take me so many years to allow myself to do this? I have been enjoying drawing girls on card, and the ones I like I cut out. Then I can look through the backgrounds that I have laid down in my journal and see which one I want to glue them to. 
This background is from one of Caspiana's soul journal prompts. We used different tapes, sanded them and painted over the top. It made for interesting textures.
I didn't end up following all of Caspiana's soul journal prompts, but she got me to try new things and that has been fabulous. And it is great to have those experiments in my journal that I can go back to and see what interested me and what didn't.

I like the idea of working around a journal. Starting some pages, drawing a bit here and there and then returning. Or not. I don't feel like I have to finish pages, I can just let them sit - or sometimes add my cutouts to add to a page that had stopped at 'background'. That way I end up with different combinations than what I would usually do.

5 comments:

Magenta said...

DeeDee, I so love your art and you have all this new stuff. How do you do it? I'm trying to eek out an ATC card for a swap and you would think I had a gun to my head. Oh your girls are great and I love you journal pages to bits. Pirate page is fantastic and I love the house with the 'word' trees. I think I need a cattle prod.

Even though you are not taking Suzi Blu's online class, can't you still sign as a member?? I signed as a member before I signed for the class, so I thought maybe you could to, if you wanted to. I could be wrong.

Welshcake said...

I love to do this too! I often draw and paint a fairy to go over a background, and also when I've done just a rough sketch I like, it's nice to cut it out and stick it into my art journal.
Its a great way to keep that really nice little image one has managed to do on the back of an envelope whilst on the phone too, :D
and I REALLY like the image of the girl in the green body/dress with the transparent skirt too.

DeeDee said...

Ohmigod, I am a cheekie cheekie one. It's Magenta's fault, lol!
I signed on and now it is "pending approval from the administrators!" And suzi is going to know that I am trying to sneak into the group without joining the class!

Still, I would be happy just to be on the sidelines.

nollyposh said...

BeAuTiFuL... really X:-)

(Ps) DeeDee l would have thought that was ok though? I don't think that you HAVE to join? (She had to approve me too) ...She said you can pay for the class at any stage as well? xOx

DeeDee said...

It is okay Vicki. It turns out that the class is a different room. cool.