Thursday, 4 September 2008

a Page of Play


I like seeing how people develop their art journal pages, so I am going to try and do that here. Unfortunately I didn't take an earlier scan of these pages so I will have to just tell you up to this point.
First I drew the woman with the party hat in pen. The original inspiration was an illustration that looked like it was from the late 1800's. Obviously I changed her quite a bit. She looked very plain sitting there on the page so I coloured her with watercolour pencils and collaged on a pattern from a magazine for her dress.
Later I glued on some torn-up dictionary pages and gessoed over some of it. Then I scrumbled on the colour with watercolour crayons.

Days later I was picking a card from Carolyn Myss's archetype deck and picked the Eternal Child. It felt like a real confirmation as I often feel self conscious about what I have judged as a childishness in me. I can now see that I am supposed to be this way.
I took a photocopy of the card and added that to the mix.
Finally I added some stamped words, a few rub-ons, a bird stamp that I cut from an eraser and then I added a few borders and leaves with my trusty Staedtler pen.

9 comments:

Gunn (Merete) said...

Wow, what a page. It really did get my attention. I love your drawings.
The colors are so great.
Well, no I want to go home from work and play with my Moleskinejournal.

bLu eYd YoGi said...

this is GREAT! i bought a GNOME book from our library yesterday~ can't wait to start cutting it up!
LOVE.e

DeeDee said...

If you want to use those gnomes more than once, photocopy them. It doesn't work so well on a inkjet (the ink will run if it gets wet) but on the laser copier I find they stand up really well.

Whimsies Folksies said...

Great page, DeeDee! Thanks for explaining your process. I love that. I really enjoy hearing and seeing how other artists create and the steps they take to get there. I think I'll follow your lead and track the progress of my next painting so I can post it on my blog. And it will also help me, because sometimes I can't even remember how I got there! Ha! ;-) Joann

miz katie said...

Fabulous! I LOVE this one. The people dancing on her hat is really creative.

Sydney said...

I too am tres interested in the process. I really love the colors you use, you've a great eye for that, imho! Looking forward to more!

Connie said...

I love the people dancing on the hat! You rock sista!

Peace & Love.

Sandra Evertson said...

Love it!
Sandra Evertson

Janny said...

Tnkx for stopping by!
Your pages are greeat;o)