Monday, 13 October 2008

Animals of the Land Journal Page


As always, I had no idea of what the pages would be when I started. My paintings are very planned, so my art journal is where I like to allow the unexpected. I have noticed that a lot of people have pages that look very coherent, like they all go together. I think mine are all over the place. Maybe  you wouldn't know they are done by the same person?
I started out drawing the woman from a photo I had on the computer. I drew her in pencil straight onto the page. I darkened her up with black coloured pencil. I want that black that I can't get with a lead pencil.
Early the next morning on my walk, I saw a koala in a tree by the road. Usually they are high up in a tree, but this one was at eye level. We looked at each other for a while.
I glued on some bible pages. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I like the feel of them underneath stuff.
Then I put some gesso down.
Then some watercolour washes, just to tone the paper. The pages stayed like that for a while, until I came  across D'Blogala's Art Journal Fridays
I was attracted to a prompt about writing a list. I am sorry but I can't seem to link to it. I will quote D'Blogala "Now, I want you to make a list on your page, but try to make your lettering reflect the list. Try to differentiate the lettering...use doodling, and even use words you find in magazines or other ephemera. You can divide up the page any way you want, use any color pallette..."
I  made a list of animals that live on our land. I tried to use lettering that had the feel of each animal.
The picture in the bottom corner isn't of our land, I just thought it looked good.
I finished up doing some journaling about the animals. Whatever came to mind.

18 comments:

nollyposh said...

sighhh... u really r a ~fabulous~ artist ddz and i do so like to go on these little journeys with you ~Thankyou~ X:-)
(ps) and i'm ashamed 2 say that i had to google "Pademelon" X:-o! (They're so cute!) x

mrsb said...

I love seeing the process! Thank you for sharing!

carlikup said...

Thanks for walking us step-by-step through the process ~ great for beginners like myself!

I love the page .... like always :)

Carla

Ginger said...

Oh, we know about Koalas!

Trish said...

love it!!

Sydney said...

I love the look of this page, and it's so fascinating to see how it all comes to the end product.

This makes me think of the movie, the Mystery of Picasso -- it is finally re-available for purchase, and something tells me you would love love love it. Or that you've already seen it?

I will be writing up a little review of it on that same blog I sent you the link to. I left you a little note on your last comment there, btw!!

Frogs-n-Butterflies said...

Really love this! Great work! Well done! And to be on a stroll and just see a koala in a tree! I don't think I could relate that to any experience here in TX!

Tammie Lee said...

Wonderful journal pages!
Wonderful that you saw a koala, that is something I have never done! Very cool for me to imagine. The woman with a feather is a wonderful drawing.

DeeDee/Zom said...

Thanks for the comments you guys.

I went to your blog Sydney, nyuk nyuk.
I will keep my eye out for that movie, and your review!

Gunn (Merete) said...

This page is awesome, I really like the coala and the lady with the list journaling. And I think it is a great idea with bible pages underneath.That`s and idea I may use. Because that adds a kind of spirit deepths to the artjournal, at least from my point of wieu. I am found of symbolism and will try more of that in my own artJournal. Both my artjournal and blog are suffering from attention now. I have to wait a week ore more because of my arm fracture.

DeeDee/Zom said...

You have expressed why I use the bible pages really well Gunn, thankyou. Even though I do not consider myself a Christian, it is the spiritual tradition I grew up in and I have great respect for it.
I don't consider myself any specific religion. IMHE they all contain Truth.

RyoJul said...

I love this. It's so interesting to see everything all over the place. It just all seems to tie together well. Love the woman you drew.

Karin said...

Beautiful drawings - and I love the soft feeling that the palette you've used creates. I'm sure I could spend a long time peering into the depths, if only I could hold it in my hands!
Karin

DeeDee/Zom said...

Not depths like your journal pages Karin, not yet anyway.

Walk in the Woods said...

So cool - and lovely too. I really dig your progression and the free organic flow of it. Such beautiful Trust!

Sydney said...

That blog entry I mentioned is up if you want to take a gander.... can't wait to learn how many art journalers know about this film or have seen it. Here's the link to it

http://lookyhereu.blogspot.com/2008/10/for-my-art-journal-friends.html

Brigitta said...

This is so beautiful and I love it that you are sharing the proces with us. I'm still struggling with art journals, there's a lot inside my head, but it just won't come out somhow :-(

Tashai said...

I really like seeing the "in-process" pics of your journal pages coming together. Thanks for sharing.