Monday, 20 October 2008

Bloodlines Journal Page

Here is my newest art journal page, and new favourite, Bloodlines. I am loving the way connections can happen without any previous intention. I will tell you what I mean.
I gessoed, then painted the pages with acrylic paint. I had no idea what was going on here, just a feeling that I wanted an olivey green.
Later I began drawing this woman. I just had the thought of a woman in 17th century dress. I looked up the clothing on the internet. I drew her on some paper that is heavy enough to carry light washes of colour. I planned on cutting her out. I painted her with watercolours and watersoluble colour pencils.

I used some decorative paper for her overdress. You just trace the shape with tracing paper, then use it as a pattern to cut out the dress. You can see the 'pattern' on the right bottom of the drawing.
Here she is, cut out and ready to be glued down. I think I need to get some mod podge because I am using acrylic matt medium to glue her down and it doesn't work as well as I would like. Or maybe I should have used my PVA glue. I don't know which is best for card.
I first thought the frog would be in her hands, but then I came across this cutie frog on the internet. I printed him and cut him out. Then I drew in the well and the trees. It is all looking very fairy tale, which I like.
I drew in another tree, and then I had the impulse to add the photo of my sister. I photocopy the photos first before I use them in my art journal, for two reasons. One is that I get to keep the original photo, and second is that the photocopy paper is thinner and easier to work with.

The leaves are shapes cut out from a magazine outdoor scene. I coloured the trees and well in with some water soluble pencils. I just wanted a hint of colour with the line drawing. I also brought a little coloured pencil over the photo to bring it into the rest of the page. Click on the picture if you want a closer look.

Now,  what I find rather strange is... the writing was something I just had lying on the desk. I liked it and just added it not thinking about whether it went with the picture. 
I love the way the subconscious works. Sometimes I think the art journaling impulse is to get me to trust my instincts more so I will work this way with my "real" paintings. Exciting thought. 
Finally I added a bit of a border.

13 comments:

Walk in the Woods said...

:)

Trust ... Trusting our inner knowing ... simply being and trusting what comes from that ... as a healer, these are things I sooooooooo love about journaling in general ... and oh-so especially in art journaling!

Thanks for sharing!

Becky said...

How lovely.Its must be so nice to be so gifted. This looks so interesting to me. I do a bit of sketching but thats about it.Thanks for sharing.

mrsb said...

Love the period dress and how you linked the whole thing to family. Wonderful!

nanakin1 said...

This journal entry is incredible!! Everything fits unbelievably well. It is one of my favorites.
Hugs,
Nancy

Joanie Hoffman said...

Your journal page is great!
Thanks also for showing the process.
Happy days,
Joanie

carlikup said...

I love it !!

A Print A Day said...

awesome page zom!

Zom/DeeDee said...

Thanks you guys. I really like this one too.

It is funny though, I am getting a little bored with the cut outs. I feel like the cut outs are the pages that I have liked best, so perhaps there is a little feeling of repeating myself to keep doing ones I like.

Maybe time to push the envelope!

nollyposh said...

X:-) xxx

Connie said...

Thank you for being so articulate and letting us dip into the way your creative process works. I can tell that you are a natural teacher!!!

Peace & Love.

Coffeelatte said...

Thanks for the invite from Suzi Blu's site to your blog. I love the Bloodlines page (could be because of my surname...), and that you've shared the technique and process of how it came together! You are so gifted!

Bonnie / Graybonnie said...

You have made stop and think of journaling from a new angle. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

jasminduft said...

This is gorgeous! I love it! Thanks a lot for your inspiring tutorials!