Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Journal Pages in black and white

The starting point for these pages came from A Print a Day. Lovely Yasmine creates her wonderful prints and generously gives away a weekend download.
This is Yasmine's lace print. I hand copied it so I could experience how she drew it - I was hopeful that I would imbibe some of her inspiration (don't know if it worked.)
Next I added a packing tape transfer. You start with a photocopy and cover it with packing tape. Obviously you are limited to the width of the tape. Once the tape is burnished, put it in some water to soak for 10 minutes or so. After the paper is thoroughly wet, it is easy enough to rub it off with your finger. If you don't have lack of water issues (we are on tank water) you can do it under a running faucet. It works either way. Sometimes there is enough stickiness left on the tape to just stick it on your page. Most of the time I need to use some matt medium as glue.

Here is a youtube video on the technique.
The young girl on the right (me at four) is another packing tape transfer. The larger picture and the cat are black and white photocopies. Oh, confession. These pages aren't just black and white. The 'doilies' on the right I drew with a brown staedtler fineliner pen.
Then I ended with some writing from "the Tao of Physics". Click on the image if you want to see it bigger.

I like the old fashioned look of these pages, especially with my childhood photos. 

15 comments:

Cookie Sunshine said...

I love the way this turned out deedee. I really like the photo on the right...is this you doing stand up?

Cookie Sunshine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim said...

These pages are really cool! Your drawings and the transfers and a great vintage element.

Ginger said...

Oohh.. very nice! This one will appeal to Mum, she's a goth :P

mrsb said...

This is just gorgeous! I will definitely have to try the packing tape transfer. I'd heard about it before, but now with a video, maybe I'll have the guts to try it!

Suzan Buckner said...

WOW!! I love this spread!! It turned out wonderful!!!
Hugs!
Suzan

Trish said...

lovely!!

Trinity Mommy said...

LOVE the pages!!! Thanks for sharing the linky goodness with us!

rlm studios said...

this is great!!! about the transfers... i have not done one yet...is it just printing out a pic from your computer on reg paper?

thanks :)

Roberta

DeeDee/Zom said...

Thanks for asking that Roberta. No, it doesn't work from inkjet prints. It has to be a photocopy or a laser print.

Walk in the Woods said...

Funny ... I'm sensing we may be kindred spirits ... I've been working in "B&W" these past couple of days. I have a doodle I'll be posting very soon! :)

Oh ... and your pages are BEAUTIFUL!

A Print A Day said...

oh neat!!!!!! thanks for posting it! it looks so much better with your collage work! i'm glad you used the little doilies!

Caf said...

gorgeous journal, I love this page...glad I came across your blog :)

iHanna said...

Zom girl, glad you found my blog too! Just a thought, I don't think you're limited to the with of the packing tape... it's easy to put two pieces side by side (or more) and make larger transfers if you want to! I overlap them with a few millimeters and it works fine. Just thought I'd share that.

Love your page, I've been doing doilies in my journal lately too!

woof nanny said...

I love this--like a child's old diary held closed with a little key.