Saturday, 4 October 2008

Really Fun Journal Pages


Here are some pages that ended up a lot of fun. I have to give credit to d'blogala as her journal pages encouraged me to push these much further than I normally would have. That is part of what an art journal is about - a safe place to go past  your comfort zones. I began these pages in one of my favourite ways, just drawing on the pages. I use a mechanical pen and walk around on our land and look for animals and birds to draw. I know that the drawings will be nothing special as the wallabies are moving around and won't stay still for me. But it connects me with them and makes me happy. It isn't about a wonderful drawing, it is about drawing and what the act gives me. Like when you go for a beautiful walk. You don't come home  disappointed if you don't have anything to show for your walk.

The writing was one of my 'messages' that I write down. I don't know who sends the messages but they are always loving and usually much wiser than I am.
Then I gessoed the page and brushed on some watercolour. The watercolours that I use are cheap pan ones that don't give me a proper wash. I don't mind this as I am not going for perfection. The brush marks could be interesting later on. We will see.
Another technique that I find a lot of fun is using photocopies of my previous journal pages. The flower is from the mice page, and the fairies are from "Help from the Fairies" page. With the fairies, I photocopied them twice their original size, cut them out and glued them on in different places. Then I added more designs and stuff to their clothes. Compare them and see if you can spot the changes.
Then I wrote the original writing back in. I used permanent pens and some sticker letters. I drew some more flowers on to echo the ones on the left and coloured them with water soluable oil pastels. I also added a cut out photocopy of me jumping. I would have left it there except for seeing d'blogala's journal pages. 
With her inspiration I decided to keep going. I added more little designs and writing, but it didn't have the punch I wanted. I decided to take out the big guns: black gesso.
I painted in some carefully placed shapes of black gesso, and there was the pizzazz! Now I could come in with the gel pens over the top. Now these are happening pages!

If you click on the last photo, you can see the pages larger and in more detail.

Now you go. Try colour photocopying some of your favourite pages -maybe change the size by bigger or smaller, then cut and paste over a bright background. Try some black gesso shapes and then come in with some gel pens. 
Don't forget to let me see!

13 comments:

Sydney said...

I was really wowed by the pic of the blank pages gessoed with that hot pink and red watercolor. I agree with you that the brush strokes are interesting.

I love the pic of you jumping and the black gesso really makes it all pop.

What catches the eye most though is that central theme jumping out (with you jumpping below it): Your MISSION now is DETACHEMNT! love it!

Walk in the Woods said...

Awesome evolution! I love seeing the "finished" pages and then the process back to it again. That works really well for me!

Dawn said...

I'm so glad you've PUSHED your pages...they look great! Thanks so much for the mention!!

Connie said...

Woman--you own the whole Art Journal thing...you know that! I bow to you!! You rock the art journal universe!!! Each post is cooler then the last!!

Hey, I tagged you...c'mon..its pure fun..humor me and tell us six "secrets" about you!!!

Peace & Love.

DeeDee/Zom said...

Thanks for the comments you guys, I feel all puffed up!

Yipes, now I gotta tell my secrets.

Heather said...

Beautiful works of art! Very inspiring!

Trish said...

thank you for that post! I loved seeing how you did the page step by step-your pages are ALL so great!!

Gia said...

This is fabulous. What are you using to seal the pages? I keep using Golden's Gel Medium but for some reason my pages end up a tad tacky so I have to put a page of vellum in between so they won't stick?

DeeDee/Zom said...

If it was a painting, I would seal it with some kind of varnish to protect it.
But I don't recommend sealing for the journal pages. I don't think it is necessary (as the page is already protected within your journal). But I also do not seal for the reason that you said: the pages will stick together!

A Print A Day said...

you are a superb journaler! did you join the journaling folks at http://donotleaveunattended.blogspot.com/?

Trish said...

I know I liked this the first time, but I didn't really pay attention to the WORDS, I like it even more now-don't think about what may happen, or how, just take the next step-thank you!!

Zom/DeeDee said...

Yes, I like the words too. And now that I have an art journal I have somewhere to put these loving messages.
It is hard to read the pages unless you click on them to make them larger.

Coffeelatte said...

What a great page, and good for you to push it! Very similar to what we did in Juliana Coles extreme journaling workshop, but with a lighter look. I like it, and the words are really important to listen to! Be here, now...it's so hard sometimes, tho...