Monday, 24 November 2008

Ego and Inner Child duke it out Journal Page

I hope you can read what I have written on these pages, it's pretty funny. (you can click on the picture to see it larger.) I was having an inner dialogue and who should pop in but my inner child. She is written in green.
I started these pages with black gesso, two coats. It gives a nice matt black that is easy to work on. 
Later I doodled the guy with the birdie in his hand. He really looks like a Joe ordinary doesn't he? except for the bird. I cut him out and glued him onto the page.
Then I drew in the design (which I had seen in some magazine, might have been from a piece of fabric) with my metallic gel pens. Don't you think they come out well on the black gesso? 
The birdies in the top left corner are cut from a magazine. The page seems to be getting a real theme. Click on the picture to see it bigger (if you can't see the birds.)
Then another bird. This one is done with a packing tape transfer. I like the grunge effect of the transfer.
As always, I didn't know why I wanted to add this writing but just trusted the impulse. Afterwards, it felt right
I think the little bird is some vulnerable and precious aspect.

14 comments:

luthien said...

well.. the kid is damn right. you shouldn't use her play space and make it o-too-serious... where is the fun in life then :)))) do one serious one for the adult then (if you really need one) don't invade... it's not nice trying to bully a kid :))))

mrsb said...

I love the way everything comes together! And the dialog is just funny :O)

nanakin1 said...

You are the kind of artist I want to be when I grow up -- no, wait, I am grown. You're the kind of artist I want to be when I shut up and let my inner child play across my pages, dreaming, adventuring, and loving her life.
Hugs from both of us,
Nancy

~Barb~ said...

I love it when I let my inner child out to play...she has such fun. I can see that your inner child has a ball when she comes out, too. lol

Love the black gessoed pages (I need some black gesso) and your little guy is awesome! Super pages!

Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Vicki Holdwick said...

Thanks so much for the blow by blow of how this page came together.

This is one of my favs so far.

PJ's talkin'.... said...

awww... I love this. I never thought of letting my others talk, now I'll have to do a journal... ha!
I love the black backgroud. It's wonderful. Got to try this. thanks for the inspritation, again.~PJ

RyoJul said...

I really like the dialoge. I think it's great. It was funny and made me laugh. I also like how the gel pens stand out.

~RyoJul

Zom said...

Thanks you guys for all the comments. I am a little surprised at the response to these pages. They seem very simple to me (maybe that is a clue?) Or is it the impact on black gesso?

carlikup said...

oh i love this Zom!

Trish said...

I love all of your pages, and how you show the process!! I have an award for you on my blog:)

Trish said...

your welcome, and your blog is one of my top picks for inspiration!

seth said...

The black gesso background is spectacular. Love the doodle, the color of the text, and all the details. Thanks for sharing the process.

Karin said...

I love the black gesso and your metallic bird doodle drawing. Yeah, maybe it is the simplicity - the sweetness - the whole of it! Even without reading and knowing it's a conversation with your inner child, it has a vulnerability and gentleness to the quality of it. But how could we not all respond? you've got it all!

pinkglitterfae said...

thank you for sharing the process, this turned out so wonderful with the black gesso. It was funny to read the dialogue too :-D