Monday, 15 December 2008

Ace of Wands Journal Page

Here are two pages that were in limbo for months. Ace of Wands is an interesting card. It represents that first burst of inspiration. Again, I didn't consciously make a connection between the writing and the pictures. But it makes sense to me now. (It feels like magic.)
I began with the writing; a quote from Caroline Myss on the left page, and a quote on the right page that I have in my studio about working with the unconscious. Then I put on some light colour with water soluble crayons and gessoed over the top. The crayons are difficult to write over unless you put gesso or acrylic matte medium on top.
Then I added a colour photocopy of the girl from my Girl in Green with Hare journal page. Do you recognize her? I have changed her dress. It is so fun, it is like paper dolls. You photocopy one drawing, then just cut out a new dress for her. 
Here she is, close up. The dress is from the background of the same page. I just traced the shape on tracing paper and then used that as a pattern to cut it out of the background. Easy peasy.
(I only just noticed that the dress has the HARE stamp on it. That's funny.)
The crow is a drawing that I did on some card and cut out. I like to do drawings and then just save them for when I might want to stick something in. The Ace of Wands is a photocopy of the tarot card. I drew in her belt and the flowers with some felt pens. The pages stayed like this for ages.
I didn't feel inspired when I looked at them.
I think they needed a bit more punch to get me going. I darkened up the tarot card with coloured pen. Added the crow silouhette, the border and darkened the flowers with sharpie. Finally I rewrote some of the quote in black. It feels more 'alive' to me now.

14 comments:

Kimmie said...

Awesome!

PJ's talkin'.... said...

This is a great page. It's all come together. Love the background, and of coarse the crows. ~PJ

Artiste Nouveau said...

Wow--this is stunning. :)

Cyndi said...

This is really beautiful! I love crows and tarot so it definitely appeals to me. It makes me want to try something like that.

mrsb said...

This is one of the most beautiful pages I've seen! I really, really like it!

~Barb~ said...

What a fabulous page spread! I love the girl and I'm all about crows, too. Great job!
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

miz katie said...

I like how that happens. You don't fully understand a page until later, and then you have an "aha!!" moment.

Chris said...

This is SO pretty! And cool! I love it. Thank you for sharing it.

Walk in the Woods said...

Very nice! I found myself wanting to reach into the screen and pick up the journal to take a closer look!

Connie said...

I agree with Walk in the Woods---I clicked on each photo just so I could look deeper and see the nuances. It is so beautiful and a bit ethereal---like the mystic universe in the quote. At the same time--I feel there is seperation between the girl and the ace of wands---maybe because those crows are standing guard. But seperation from inspiration..that's a little of what I'm seeing.

Peace & Love.

Zom said...

I am glad you guys liked it.

Connie, you have given me a shiver - with 'separation from inspiration'. I wouldn't have seen that, thankyou.

彭城视窗棋牌游戏中心 said...

I think I come to the right place, because for a long time do not see such a good thing the!

Chris said...

Love this, taking one of my favorite arcana and making it vibrant like this. The different pen techniques really make the right things pop.

www.jsfishnet.com said...

It seems a little more than I need to check the information, because I was thinking: Why does not my GLOG these things!
fishing net