I started something new last week. I began making my first journal, the actual book part. I had been collecting some tutorials from the web and they got me excited to go.
It began fantastically. I went with this tutorial from Creativity Prompt because it looked pretty simple. I wanted something quick that wasn't too rough. (Did you know there are tutorials for books made from cereal boxes? Crowabout has a great one here. I want to try it sometime.)
I changed it. Of course I changed it. I don't have the patience to make anything just to learn from it. I wanted a bigger journal, so I made it bigger. A lot bigger. From 7cm to 25cm (the fact that I am not converting to inches is a kind of lame political statement). Maybe the size change was where I went wrong.
I cut the pages from my pastel pad. It was exciting to be able to choose the paper. I glued the cardboard cover with some decorative paper I had. I had to use 4 pieces and piece it together, a patchwork look that I quite liked.
It was all looking great. I attached the ribbons with glue instead of double sticky tape ( didn't have any tape). the glue worked well.
The trouble started with the stitching. There weren't detailed instructions. Or not as detailed as I wanted. As I tried to go under, around and over, it got pulled and tugged (and knots in the thread) and it kinda tore some. You can see it here, where the ribbon pulled away from the cover.
And the signatures (the bunch of folded paper) weren't evenly placed and have a space inbetween so when you open the pages there is a gap.
I don't think the ribbons are going to be able to hold it all together.
I was upset, which is kinda silly considering this blog is all about 'go for it and don't worry about making mistakes." Oh well, teach what you need to learn and all that.
I haven't given up. Don't think that. I have a few ideas up my sleeve. And the kind of cool thing is that now that the book feels kinda 'ruined' I feel more free to experiment.