Monday, 1 December 2008

"You are so Beyond That" Journal Pages

I wasn't sure what to call these pages, but finally decided the emphasis is on the beautiful bit of wisdom I received from my friend Rosie. I had been complaining of my apparent inability to understand and follow social conventions.

I think it is interesting that this quote is on a page of my ancestors. 
It feels like some family karma that has been released. I recognise a freedom that I didn't used to feel.
I started with gessoing the pages and then painted them with acrylic paint. Apparently it's a good idea to water the paint down a bit, that way the pages are less likely to stick together. (Which is also why you never put gloss acrylic medium or varnish over the top of a page - the two pages will stay sticky).
The diamonds are printed with a homemade background stamp. (Here is the tutorial, by Laurie Gatlin). Fun, fun. I will have to do more of that. I painted acrylic paint onto the stamps for the stamping.

Strangely enough, as much as I love the background stamping, these pages stayed at this point for months. I think the pattern intimidated me a bit. 
But as soon as I slapped a few photocopies down I was away. I love working with black and white copies of photos. I don't do scrapbooking so my old photos are just stuffed away in a plastic box. It feels wonderful to use them in my art journal. 

I actually hadn't realised that I had a photo of my father's father. He died before I was born.

The camels and the building are magazine images. I also added a few rub-ons and stickers. 
Lastly the quotes in my gel pens.

16 comments:

LazyTcrochet said...

Hi - I love your art journals. And yes...there are lots of Etsy artists from Australia. You should try it. There are three different street teams that you could get help and support from. Check it out if you'd like... http://team.etsy.com/profilest/aus.shtml

Good luck!

Bonnie / Graybonnie said...

Thanks for the foam stamp tutorial!

mrsb said...

Love the color on the page, and what a great tutorial! I will definitely be trying that one!

luthien said...

now... this page i really really like... blue/turquoise/green are my fav colors... the background stamps look beautiful and goes perfectly with the vintage pictures :) these pages are really beautiful :)

~Barb~ said...

Where would we journalers be without our rub ons, gel pens and magazine clipart? Awesome page!!!
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

nanakin1 said...

I found this page very reassuring.
Hugs,
Nancy

Zom said...

I am so glad you guys like these pages. I think there is something rather sophisticated looking when you use such a limited pallette (just the two colours).

Hilary said...

I love how you did this!

luthien said...

hey zom :) jus wanna say thanks for the add :D

Matthew Tripp said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
六甲豆子 said...

I'm really like your art journal, and it's a great thing that can meet friends who also like to "make art" as healing tools..

Thank you for learning a lot of technique from you...^^

六甲豆子 said...

Dear Zom,

You are welcome and your blog is really wonderful! Unfortunately the google translator is not perfect to let you understand what I was writing at my blog, anyway, draw always a language without nation, right? ^^

Lucy said...

Thank you for your comment about my project and the push to try an art journal, that's something I want to do in 2009. I definitely will be back to visit, I love the journey you are on with your journaling. Thank you for the tip about the varnish/gloss medium, knowing me, I'd have put that on my page!!

Happy holidays!

PJ's talkin'.... said...

I love this spread. Now I need to carve a camel stamp. :) I love the camels marching across the diamonds in the background. Great colors. ~PJ

安徽棋牌游戏中心 said...

After reading the information, I may have different views, but I do think this is good BLOG!

www.jsfishnet.com said...

Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on all
fishing net factory