Sunday, 4 January 2009

a Boring but Meaningful Journal Page

These are journal pages that I made after our trip to Adelaide. They are very simple, just gluing on some writings from my small moleskin journal, sketches I had made, various tickets, and bits from a zoo map.

I wanted to try out visual diarying as this is how many people use their journals. I find it interesting that people say when they only use their journals for writing it has a tendency to be a cathartic exercise, but when it becomes a visual journal it tends more towards gratitude and enjoyment. I have certainly find this to be true for me.
Perhaps this has to do with the nature of left brained verbal thinking and right brained visual stuff.

9 comments:

r@!nb0w said...

thats kool as!when we went 1 sydney ages ago my brother and sister and me made a journal. Maps, and soap rappers from where we stayed and i even found a shark egg.

r@!nb0w said...

take that 1 out lol srry

r@!nb0w said...

lol i didnt read b4 putting it in, i mean we put stuff like maps and .....

Walk in the Woods said...

I like it ... not boring at all!

Chris said...

Hey, that is a really intriguing thought, what you say about writing journal vs visual journal... I am going to mull this over.

by the way: Not Boring!

lynne h said...

hi zom,

well, i've read what people say about visual vs. writing journals... sometimes they even say that only writing journals are "journals". WHAT?! let me at 'em! (just kidding). i kept writing journals for years, and the main thing that jumped out at me after i had a big stack of them was that they all said basically the same thing, dressed up a little differently, but pretty much the same. i struggled with the same demons and rejoiced over the same happinesses! so in the end they just seemed awfully boring to me. then for a long, long time i didn't do any journaling at all... and now i feel like i'm all over the place with what i draw/paint/glue in my books. having done them for almost three years though they seem way more interesting to me than the writing ones ever did. but then that could just be because i'm a color junky. : ) xxoo

扬州关牌 said...

Although from different places, but this perception is consistent, which is relatively rare point!

Sixpence and a Blue Moon said...

This is FABULOUS! And how fun to keep memories and mementos in this way. This is very much the way I journal 97% of the time.

decorative fishing net said...

Read your article, if I just would say: very good, it is somewhat insufficient, but I am

still tempted to say: really good!
Personalized http://www.jsfishnet.com