Sunday, 18 January 2009

Monster Journal Page

Here are a couple of journal pages that I am excited about. Why? Because they might be an indication of where I want to go next with my art journal. More drawing. 

I try to allow the direction of my creativity to move in terms of what makes me feel excited. Sometimes my head gets the better of me and says "no, you need to continue on this or that path because... some fear related reason. Some "should".
Following the excitement often involves facing some insecurity like 'it won't be very good' or 'I don't know how to do that'. 
This started just with drawing. I didn't have any idea in my head what to draw, just started with its face and continued. Then I put down a wash of watercolour in the background and some water soluble pencil on the monster and the little people. Its dress is cut out fur from a magazine photo.

These pages stayed like this for ages, maybe a month. I would just look at it and not feel any inspiration.

I think it was actually avoidance. I didn't want to jump in again. I judged the drawing as 'silly' and didn't want to continue this juvenile piece of work.
I finally pushed myself to go back to it. I drew in the tree and then the girl came in, sleeping at its roots. The last to enter was the little man feeding the snake. At this point, I was finding the drawing interesting again. 

I ripped out some sky from a magazine and glued it on the two pages. I left the words on even though I didn't know what it said.
More colour. More strengthening of darks. A dress for the young woman, cut from some pattern that I liked in a magazine.
Finally the writing. Something that had come through a while ago about how humans are able to bring things from the psychic realm into the physical realm. Pretty amazing ability that. It is,  of course, what creativity is all about.

20 comments:

sweetmango said...

I really like these pages Zom, it is as though they are from a mystical 19th century fairytale book.
The words are Dutch and the they mean "Homecoming of the Odyssey", which I find interesting in terms of the fact that an odyssey is a long wandering and eventful journey and in the case of these words, the returning home after such an event, bringing with it all the knowledge gained...which also links in, I think, with the writing you have chosen to put in the background of the piece.
I think it is just such a lovely piece with so many layers to it.
xxsm

~Barb~ said...

Zom, I think these pages are unbelievably gorgeous! You've done awesome work here (how could you ever call them "juvenile!)...I love them so much. Keep it up!
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

The Gypsy said...

I agree with Sweetmango and Barb. I love these pages, I love fairytales, and I love the combination od words and images.
Beautiful drawings, too.

nollyposh said...

i love this! Love it, LOVE IT! LoVe iT! But you know me X:-) i love your art anyway but most especially when it makes me ~feel~ the *magic* of you and this makes me want to know more of the story that hides in you... It makes me want to shout "Write me a story Zom a beautiful mystical tale with twists and turns and magic and mystery and tragedy and love ...and more magic" And that's what your art does to me X:-) (Makes me annoying! Lol!) Reminds me to ~believe~ ThankYoU x (ps)You know between you and SweetMango up there you probably could write and illustrate a book... Have you done such a thing before? i know that you are an amazingly talented artist... Could you tell us more about your artistic journey in this bloggy (Or am i being tOO nosey?!) X;-) vicki x

nollyposh said...

(Pps) i believe Elephants are 'aware' (for the want of a better word) as they do amazing things like ceremonies for their dead, etc and i think Whales are similar(?) = Responding to your journal writing x

nollyposh said...

This sort of journalling would make great classes... Teaching people to create from their subconscious and listen to their inner wisdom... But i guess that is what you are doing here already really isn't it... so Thankyou x (Ok i'll go away now! Lol!)

sweetmango said...

Good golly Miss Nolly, you really are toooooooo sweet for words :) You make me grin from ear to ear.
Instead of saying Namaste I am going to say...the child in me sees the child in you!!!!
Toooo cute, love it, love you and Zom

Rhomany said...

This is really lovely. And the writing is quite apt I think.
I'm failry sure it's Dutch and says 'The Homecoming of' and then it's either Odysseus or odyssey, I'm not quite sure which

miz katie said...

oh, the stories swimming around my head when i look at these pages. i can come up with so many!

Zom said...

ooh, I feel such encouragement from everyone. Thank you thank you.

Vicki, I love your "nosiness". Who doesn't like to be asked questions about themselves? Anyway, I do. So you will have to watch future posts.

I started two novels several years back. It was so fun. One about a gorgeous indian guy who chose to be homeless and his adventures. The other kind of a science fiction about angels taking over the world. It was kinda spooky cause you couldn't really tell if it was good or bad.

Zom said...

Oh yeah, and thanks for the heads up about the elephants and the whales. Of course you are right and I love how remembering that makes me feel.

nollyposh said...

oooooooh can we see your bOOks/pages tOO? X:-)

Zom said...

I loved writing, but haven't finished either novel. I stopped at about 100 pages in just cause I was running from painting to writing to beading (at that time.)
I do find it is better if I take a little time off being creative otherwise I am completely off this world.

lynne h said...

love, LOVE this zom... i say draw, draw, draw!!! xo

Renee said...

Zom, whenever I look at your pages that are drawn I just love them.

You always do a great job.

Love

Renee

Leah said...

gorgeous, gorgeous pages! they make me think of a book of fairy tales.

Eilandkind said...

This is unbelievably beautiful.

Those words from the magazine, that you don't understand, means:
The homecoming of Odyssei

Genie Sea said...

Magical! I love the process too. Thank you! It's very inspiring :)

Connie said...

I do dig these pages here Zom. Pretty fabulous!! I especially love what you wrote on them too. And, I love when you add things having no idea what they mean--like the words in Dutch--that then later you find out have the most perfect meaning afterall. That in itself sounds like a fairy tale.

I'm excited to see where you go with this---after you stop beating yourself up so much. C'mon Zom--you rock!! Totally rock!! Throw all those fears of yours a good left hook and kick them to the curb!!! Because we all want to see more!! More! More!!

Peace & Love.

Marina said...

Very nice pages.... I liked to read about the process too...