Wednesday, 14 January 2009

Trust a Witch Journal Page


This one makes me laugh. I got the quote from a fantastic book that I am reading, "In the Night Garden" by Catherynne M. Valente. Highly recommended for those of you who share my fascination with fairy tales.

It is good advice for young girls. I think of it as urging them to trust in the wisdom and experience of the crones (post-menopausal women) in their life.
I began with the plastic wrap crinkle technique. Go here for an earlier post about this and other ways to create journal page backgrounds. I will definitely do this technique again, but next time I will try a gentler colour. These bright beginnings are limiting in terms of what you can put on later. The foreground has to be strong so that the background doesn't overpower it.
The writing is done mainly with letters and words cut from magazines. I did use a few alphabet stickers and old letraset letters that I had from my graphic artist days. The border was added with water-soluble crayon.
I put the white lines in to make it easier to follow the writing. I tried doing this with my white gel pen, but it was piss weak on the acrylic background. Then I remembered my new Zig Opaque Writer! Wooee! It is like using a white-out pen only better. I think it would cover anything.
Some judicious black and white pen usage for more snap and one witch's hat cut from black paper. All for one of my more graphic pages.

13 comments:

The Gypsy said...

Clean and simple, but very attractive. I like the background effect and I will try it soon (I hope) and post the results!

PS I also like the advice!! lol

~Barb~ said...

The quote has me laughing...I love it! I also didn't realize that was the criteria for being a Crone (guess I'll be there soon enough. lol) Super page spread...simple but wonderful.

Now to go check out your background ideas. (I'm always open for new ideas!)

Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Renee said...

Good morning:

Something learned again today.

I like the white pen around the witch and since I am looking for a book and I am a crone maybe I will pick it up.

Have a great day.

Love Renee

Taluula said...

Awesome, and thank you for telling us how.

Genie Sea said...

Delightful, fun and funny! :)

Mar said...

your journal pages evolve amazingly
love to watch them come forth
thank you for sharing them
they are inspirational

nollyposh said...

Hee! Hee! i ~love~ it xox
(ps) Hope you are feeling better (((hugz)))

Paper Cat Designs said...

Hello,

I have nominated you to be the Artful Elites's featured artist for February on my blog, The Artful Paper Doll.

I have just started a diary group and very much enjoy the creativity and thought you put into your pages and posts here. I thought a feature article would compliment the group's purpose very nicely.

Please visit me on The Artful Paper Doll to accept the invitation and read more.

Cheers! =D
~Kitty Kellie
The Artful Paper Doll

bLu eYd YoGi said...

LOVE IT!!! Invite into your HEART only those energies that resonate with the desire to obey your ultimate calling to INSPIRATION~
LOVE&hugs.
e

PJ's talking2.... said...

Now I gotta have a Zig Opaque Writer?! There goes my budget AGAIN! I so love to write with the white, though. And outline with it, doddle with it... gotta have one. I love the background on this spread. I like that it's so bright! Got to try this. thanks for showing it! ~PJ

Zom said...

The Zig Opague Writer is great for covering stuff that wimpier white pens won't cover, but it isn't fine tip. It is more thick tip. Only good for fat writing, lol.

Walk in the Woods said...

Oh - I just love this!

Connie said...

It's definitely those white lines you add at the end that really pull this journal page together as a whole piece. It's so cool to see how just a few simple lines can really be powerful.

I like it alot. I especially dig the quote--I want it on a t-shirt!

Peace & Love.