Saturday, 25 April 2009

If I wasn't Afraid Journal Page


I don't know if you guys remember, but a while back I said that I wanted to do more drawing in my art journal. So here is a page that I  painted it from a magazine photo. I liked the girl with the parrot on her shoulder. 

First I gessoed the page, then painted a wash of mauve in acrylic that I mixed from cobalt blue and red. The triangle border is printed with home made stamp made of craft foam glued onto a wooden block. The girl and parrot are painted in acrylic paint. You can see some pencil lines from when I drew her out.

I added the writing later with a Zig Millennium pen. The writing began on the facing page where I did the writing prompt: What I would do if I wasn't afraid.

I do notice that when I work from a photo and don't change anything, even if I like the photo the way it is, I get bored pretty quickly. This page looks okay but it doesn't excite me. I guess that's because I wasn't doing anything new with it. For me, my art journal is either about trying something new or putting down ideas. It isn't about making pretty pages, and when I get caught up in that I get BORED.

13 comments:

Naive15yearold said...

You're so creative.

nollyposh said...

Hmmmm now you've got me a thunkin' What would "i" do if i wasn't afraid??? X:-o!

Taluula said...

Stunning and inspired.

Sydney said...

You do such beautiful work, it's almost difficult to think these are just journal pages for you to keep closed in a book on your shelf, as more and more add up. I assume they must inspire new work, and also serve that purpose, but I'm trying to say they each could be framed and shown!

When I go to art galleries and they hapen to have the artist's notebooks in a display case, I end up spending all my time peering at those, while their big pieces are hung all around me!

luthien said...

the painting of the girl and her parrot is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Gayle said...

Great journal page. Fear can get in the way of many areas in our life. It can take away our peace of mind, keep us in our comfort zones, and keep us from sharing ourselves and our art. Thanks for sharing yours.

Avital said...

Stunning page! The colors work so well together and the drawing of the woman with the parrot inspired by the magazine is phenomenal.

Kate said...

Your parrot girl is simply lovely. A really nice page.

Kate

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Well I love your page even if it bored you a bit! I have been trying to mix up my drawing and my collage a bit more lately and the new combinations keep me interested.

Debrina said...

Ooooh - such beauty on a page!! Now, if you ever want to do some mail art...

The Gypsy said...

I totaly feel the same- it needs to be new to me at least and somehow mine. Even so, your page is very beautiful.

Chris said...

I know what you mean about getting bored. I recently made some portfolio covers and I was very caught up in them during the creation. But as I was finishing and now that they are done, I see that I was too orderly, too matchy matchy, and there was none of the grunge or edginess there, that I like in others' works. So it's something I have to teach myself... get out of the comfort zone.

Even if you are bored with your page, I find it pleasing, and I like the texture.

rock on!

Apple said...

Beautiful page!!