Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Pens, Pens, Pens

I have been going loopy lately buying pens. I have bought all these in the last week. I can't seem to stop. 
I am looking up pens on Ebay. I am looking up pens overseas, hoping I can get them cheaper in the States. But there is postage, there is always postage. 

 Of course I love the gel pens. All art journalers love the gel pens. The uni-ball Signo have smooth writing . I am using the black much more than I thought I would. It is smoother than my Staedtler pigment liners over acrylic paint. I like the thicker line for writing. 

The paint pens on the right are fabulous! But so expensive. I got the galaxy markers on sale for$2.50, half price at Spotlight. But they aren't carrying them anymore. The Uni Posca you can get from Officeworks in Lismore or Dolphin Choice in Byron Bay for six dollars. Yup, six dollars. Painful. These are Australian prices you lucky americans. 

The paint pens are just what they are called. They are like writing with paint. Wonderful. Go over anything. But make sure they are waterbased. I haven't tried the other ones, but I don't think they would work so well in a journal.

Jeeze, what is the deal with buying all these pens?

9 comments:

Debrina said...

You need to do pen swaps (ie, swap bot!). I'd be the first to line up. I love pens, especially coloured ones and nice black ink pens for doodling. My favourites are Stabilo, Staedtler, Zebra Jimnie Gel Rollerballs (good grief I can't believe I'm writing this! Lol) and my absolute all time favourite - the uni-ball! The finer the better.

nollyposh said...

Hmmmm me thinks you might have something to say sOOn??? X;-)

(Ps) Thanks for all the pen hints, i've always wondered what everyone uses, as i seem to struggle with my sharpies for some reason?

Sydney said...

oh oh oh. My favorite subject Zom!

I bought Signos by the fistful when I Firstt discovered them on a trip to NYC a few years ago. SMOOTH writing. I collect fountain pens and like to write with violet or teal ink... The Staedtlers also rock... like sharpies but not so runny on the back side of your surface. I love PAPER too.

When I go to Paris, or shall I say when I USED to go al the time, you would not find me in Chanel or Hermes or Yves St. Laurent....I'd be drinking in the fragrance of blank books, looking for smooth papers and over buying colored inks and pens pens PENS!

Zom said...

Thanks for the heads up Debrina, I wasn't aware of swap bot, it looks interesting.

Dearest Vicki, I wrote a bunch of bitchy stuff about Sharpies and then looked in my drawer and realized that what I thought were Sharpies are cheap imitations called Markline. I have heard they make great paint pens (which apparently they are discontinuing) and that their colours can change. Don't they bleed through your journal pages?
Do you have a journal? I don't think I recall one...

Darling Sydney, we should go to Paris together. I would be snubbing those boring Hermes and Chanel for the stationary shops for sure!

nollyposh said...

Yes i have art diary's DDZ, When i first came to bloggy world i was looking for an online art teacher that wouldn't cost me the earth and found Suzi Blu... X:-) so my first steps were to start an art diary (I think i have early posts on them?) But i still have probs with pens but that may be because i don't really know a lot about good quality paint and etc... i'm still an 'art-baby' X;-)

PJ's talking... said...

the one that has the most pens wins.... I think I'm going to win... pretty sure...

PJ's talking... said...

did you get a white uniball signo? they say that's the BEST white pen... I haven't found one yet... sob....

Zom said...

I do have the Uniball signo but I haven't tried it out yet. I am making myself use up my white Hybrid gel first. That is the anal in me, tee hee.

You may win the most pens (I loved your video of your studio). I should have posted all my pens. The picture is only the ones I just bought last week!

Paper Relics said...

I would love to do a pen swap - I am a pen junkie!