Sunday, 12 April 2009

Suzi Blu's Vlog on Criticism of Your Art

Suzi Blu is vlogging and today is a good one. She is talking about when people put down your creations. She gives some truths that I wish someone had told me twenty years ago. 

I don't know why we are so hard on each other, and ourselves, when we are learning to paint and draw. There is some kind of belief that artists are born rather than made. This is NOT TRUE. Artists have to learn and practice just like musicians, dancers or any other creative type. We are not born knowing everything about how to draw and paint.

Even for those with talent, there are a lot of bad paintings and drawings. I don't know if that ever stops. And talent is a small ingredient. You can have two artists. One with loads of talent but not willing to practice and work, the other with less talent but Dedicated. The second will end up the better artist.

You do not start out making great stuff. Maybe a few people do, but they are bloody rare. So, don't let other people give you a hard time. And don't give yourself a hard time either.

And go watch the vlog. It's good.

2 comments:

PJ's talking2.... said...

I'm loving that! I so agree. It's hard work, produce, produce, produce. Not each one is going to be your best, but do it again.
No critiquing my work. The good folks that buy my art are the ones I listen to! :) PJ

nollyposh said...

X:-)