Tuesday, 19 May 2009

My Dilemma

I go through different phases in my art journaling. At the moment I am loving drawing. I am drawing in my studio, then in the evening I am drawing in my art journal. 

I have a bit of a dilemma though.

The first watercolour is from a photo that I got off the web. I think it looks quite lovely. It wasn't really my inspiration; it wasn't my photo. I am not sure about copyright. 

It was fun to do, but not as much fun as the drawing below. The dilemma is that I think it looks much more impressive than the drawing below. 

This drawing is just something that I doodled up. It was a lot of fun. It is my own inspiration, completely original. But it doesn't look near as impressive as the first one. That is because if you draw something out of your head, it is not going to look as realistic as if you have the image in front of you to draw from. There is too much information to try and imagine. How does her wrist meet her hand? Where would her shoulder turn at that angle? How do jeans wrinkle at the knees? 

So, can you guess what the dilemma is? It is a contest between my ego and my artistic child. Who gets the art journal?

4 comments:

Miki Willa said...

I really like the second one a lot. It is full of whimsy, and that makes it rich and fun. The first one is good, but the second one made me chuckle.

A rambling rose said...

The second one is really orginal and quirky - it feels less like an illustration than the first - go for being YOU in what you are drawing - best of luck

Kelley said...

I have to say I like them both. The second is whimsical and playful. But the first is a bit more accurate(not sure if thats the correct word i want) As for copyright I think if you change it a bit your okay because it was a photo not another's drawing. and remember even Da Vinci had someone pose for the Mona Lisa..not sure if I was any help here? LOL

Petartist said...

I like both for different reasons. Celebrate the fact that you can do both! You have a lot of talent. If you are unsatisfied with the 2nd, maybe if you finish the background, you can achieve a more "realistic" look, if that's what you want. Like my daughter says "when you think you're done with contrast, add more!"...