Friday, 19 June 2009

Changing Direction

When I don't like a journal page, it is fun to change direction. Take a chance. Risk trouble,tee hee. That is what my art journal is for. Even if the page ends up worse, I don't really mind  (maybe a little, but I get over it.)

Maybe some day I will be able to do that in the studio with my 'real work' as well.
Here are a couple of pages that have been languishing in my journal. I like the child silouhettes, but I have been feeling that another layer of colour would give it more punch. Something warm to contrast with the cool green and teal.
I mixed up an orange red with cadmium light and warm cadmium yellow and pounced it on with a sea sponge. Fun. 
As I had the acrylics out, and was procrastinating about my new oil paintings (which are kinda scaring me) I thought I would attack some other art journal pages.

The page on the left is a wish page. I took a rejection letter from a gallery and reformed it into an acceptance page. That was a while ago and I am kind of over it. I want to jazz the page up and prepare it for some collage. 
The page on the right is one we did in class, drawing what is in your bag. I was imagining a delicate watercolour and pen page, but I lost interest. This is one that could easily get worse, but I am attacking anyway. Take that!
I went in with the red acrylic. I am not thinking this out. The poor little drawing has gone completely blah next to that red.
So impulsively I get out the black gesso and paint around the drawing. I don't know where this is going, but I feel like working on these pages again now. I don't know what I am doing, but they have come back to life for me. Go figure.

7 comments:

nollyposh said...

ahhhh the art of just letting go X;-)

Freak said...

How brave you are! I don't know if I would have been able to paint above something old. But, maybe... I don't know...
It looks great in the end, though.

DellaLuna said...

Right on, for risking "trouble" in your art journal. If not there, then where?

And I love your idea of taking a rejection letter, and turning it into an acceptance letter. Did it help, when you did it? You said you're kinda over it, and I'm wondering if doing that helped you get over it.

Zom said...

Maybe it did help DellaLuna. I have since gotten involved with a gallery in Brisbane, so I am sure that helped too.

The Gypsy said...

I'm a hopeless optimist .. is that good or bad? I too love the way you turned the rejection letter into an acceptance letter.
On my blog - maybe soon - I think I'm also going to ask artists to share their "mistakes" which they turned into great art.

The Gypsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gypsy said...

I clicked poublish comment twice - so I deleted one - sorry :-)