Friday, 24 July 2009

Can Art Journal Pages be too Good?

Here is something different. Art journal pages that are too good.

How can a journal page be too good? Because I like it so much that I can't touch it. I know that whatever I do to it will lessen it. Well, I don't know that - but it is what I fear. The background was done in multiple layers of acrylic paint, one layer with my homemade background stamps and gesso. I love the way it created a texture and how the gesso covered the underneath colours. A bit of texture on the pages is a lot of fun. (Wait until you see the pages I am working on at the moment. A lot of texture there.)

The crows and the writing are done with package tape transfer. I even like the blob of gesso that worked over from another page.

Sigh. I like it all too much. So I have run up against another creativity killer. Attachment to my creation. I want to preserve it, therefore I stop it from growing.

11 comments:

luthien said...

a journal devoid of writing is in itself a journal. reason for journaling is a sort collection of memories or what the artist is feeling at that point in time when she's creating it. this has been fulfilled. everytime you see these 2 pages, devoid of writing, you will remember why, you will remember this very feeling you have, you will remember this "fear", you will remember why it's blank. is this not a fulfillment of journaling already? :))

Karin Bartimole said...

I agree with Luthien - can't the pages speak volumes as is? do they need words? they are truly beautiful. I can understand wanting to do something to *get over* the attachment thing though, as a personal challenge for self. I look forward to seeing how you chose to proceed!
xo K

magpie said...

don't question the feeling that it is perfect just the way it is - it comes rarely & should be respected!

and i agree - it needs nothing.
(but then anything with a member of family corvidae is perfection in my book...

The Gypsy said...

This is silence, peace and beauty. That's saying a lot already. Leave it, enjoy it, turn the page and create something else beautiful .. and show us :-)

Zom said...

What an interesting idea you guys. It never occurred to me to leave them just like this intentionally.

I am so into writing on my pages that it would be difficult to leave them blank, but I can see the appeal.

Thanks for bringing in more viewpoints!

candy said...

beautiful pages!

:)
candy

Walk in the Woods said...

These pages are exquisite! And yeah, I can relate to the pages left untouched ... yet I often find that I *do* revisit them with added content or layers after a spell.

And hey - that packing tape transfer looks pretty cool!

Lastly - it is *so* good to reconnect! Be wel!

nollyposh said...

Hee! hEE! Sometimes i like my little dollies too much to sell, so in the end i make myself give them away... Yep all lessons in attachment!

Chris said...

I'm printing this gorgeous thing right now, to use as a background!

(is that wrong?)

awesome colors...

Zom said...

You are welcome to it Chris. I don't know how well it will enlarge though.
xxox

Cyndi - Dreams Unltd said...

Love, love, love these pages. They look luminous, like they're backlit or something. Very cool effect that I'd like to recreate!

Cyndi - Dreams Unltd