Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Soldiering On (and overly dramatic titles)

Another journal page from my A4 journal. I used tissue paper on this one. Did you know that you can write on the paper, then glue it down and it goes translucent? I like the way the tissue paper makes it look a bit grunge.

Concerning other creative matters, I have been doing some research in response to my frustration with using toxic spray paints in the online stencil class that I am taking.

To give credit, Mary Ann, the tutor of the class, has not only made suggestions for other media, but has included instructions in her class. You do not have to use spray paints to take her online stenciling class.

That said, living in Australia, we don't have the same buying options as in the States. I also live hours from a capitol city,  and buying online can entail expensive postage. The spray inks that she suggested as one option apparently aren't allowed to be sent airmail. 

I will be using Lynne's suggestion of a foam roller and acrylic paint. I am also going to try to get some of the little spray bottles and use Jennifer's idea with watered down acrylic paint.

Another option that I am looking at is called an atomizer. I understand that they used to use them before the days of air brush. Perhaps they still do. 

This isn't a very accurate diagram for what I going to buy, but it is close enough. You blow into one tube and the perpendicular tube sucks up the liquid to spray it out. It will be interesting to try. 

I will let you guys know how it goes.

4 comments:

Jennifer Williams "Blueskysunburn" said...

I knew it turned translucent when you glued it down but it never dawned on me to write on it! What a cool effect.

I look forward to seeing if any of the other paints work for you.

lynne h said...

i sure like this page, zom... xo

The Gypsy said...

Love the idea of writing on the tissue paper - very cool page.

Karin Bartimole said...

Hi Zom, not sure if other suggested this, but I have also added rubbing alcohol to help water down acrylics, which keeps the nozzle from clogging and is a good solvent for acrylics. I spritz with it in used hairspray bottles, etc.