Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Fabric Dyes as stencil spray

More experiments with stenciling. I am trying out the Ozecraft dyes to spray with (instead of using spray paint, which I hated). Apparently they are a fabric dye. I watered it down and put it in a little cheapo sprayer I got from a dollar store. The Ozecraft was cheaper than the ink re-inkers which I will also try, -but gee it goes quickly. The effect wasn't too bad though.
I am using chipboard surrounds as a stencil. It works well, but what does mo hui mean?lol I reckon it could break down fairly quickly with the wet spray.

The colours are pretty.

The spotted background was done using a plastic needlepoint canvas as a stencil.
This ochre colour is Tim Holtz Distress Ink. It turned out crap as you can see. I don't blame the ink. It was the s*** spritzer I bought from a discount cosmetic shop.

These were all done on manila folders. I don't have any plans for them, just experiments.

4 comments:

Jennifer Williams "Blueskysunburn" said...

I ran across another wonman taking the class that was using fabric dyes. I really like the softness of their colors.

I thought about you this weekend. I bought some airbrush acrylic paint to try for indoor spritzing. The watered down plain acrylic kept getting clogged. I haven't got a chance to play with it just yet but the few test sprays I did the colors came out very rich!

Zom said...

airbrush acrylic paint? That sounds promising. Will you post your experiments on your blog?

~Barb~ said...

I keep seeing the most awesome stencils you guys are coming up with from the class. Very cool! Oh, and I've used everything as my stencil "paints"...even unsweetened Kool-Aid (cause we all know it stains EVERYTHING. LOL)
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Wow! Love these ink sprayed stencils!! Great work!!