Wednesday, 19 August 2009

When Inspiration Leaves

I create almost every day. Often most of the day. I don't think a lot about whether I am inspired or not. Creating is my work; my vocation, it's what I do and I just do it. But occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, I hit a blip of feeling actively uninspired. Where suddenly I feel yuck at the thought of working on my painting or drawing or whatever it was that I had planned. Not just not excited but almost repelled. This is usually kinda scarey. It might be a painting in a series that I have been excited about. It might be a plan for an art journal page that had filled me with enthusiasm. Or it might be continuing some entirely new project.

I get scared because I wonder what it means. Will I be able to finish that painting series? Will I have to give up art journaling? (what about my students? my classes?) And sometimes those scary thoughts are true. I have had to give up on a series of paintings, I did have to stop teaching beadweaving. My interest went and it didn't return.

But more often, much much more often, it just indicates that that particular painting or journal page or project is not what I need to work on today. I need to draw rather than paint. I need to leave the new project for a while. I need to try approaching a different journal page in a new way. Later I will come back to what I had planned with fresh eyes and fresh inspiration.

Why did I write this post today? Because I am feeling bored with my art journal.
So I might just pick up the new muslin journal and see what happens.

Sometimes when I feel like this I even clean the studio. Only as a last resort though, tee hee.

12 comments:

Gayle said...

Love your thoughts on the fleeting moments of inspiration. I think that it is true that some days we need to step back and do smething different (and not feel bad about it). A lot of times doing something new helps me break through a problem that I'm having with another project.

Julie-ann said...

Your journal art is fabulous, so colourful and fun loving.
Your inspirational words also! I was so drawn to this, total art eye candy and so much more.

Linda said...

I get the same way where I wished I felt inspired to do something but don't. Those days I just chill or I get out there and splash some paint around.

I do find that cleaning my studio not only clears the space but clears my block. Maybe I can't get inspired because my studio is too messy. LOL

lynne h said...

hee, zom... i know that muslin's gonna bring the muse back. ; )

xo

Zom said...

I came down with the flu the day after I wrote this post. I wonder if my lack of inspiration was connected...

Karin Bartimole said...

Oh, I bet you were feeling the pre-flu fall out! I hope you are feeling better asap.
I love your quirky angel!! and can relate to going through the ups and downs of inspiration and blahs, but like you I find it's just a sign I'm meant to work on something else, or move in a different direction. I trust that where ever the energy directs me, I will be creating something, and everything else will fall into place around that creating process.
I put up a couple scale photos of my Scribe's Chair, as you requested, and also wrote out the metric dimensions in my comment reply :)

JafaBrit's Art said...

I enjoyed exploring your blog and your work. OUr Embroidery Guild group is wanting to do a fabric sketchbook so I was intrigued with your entry on that.

I understand your fear about not wanting to do painting or something. I am guessing the muse want's us to rest or something.

all the best
Corrine aka jafabrit

nollyposh said...

Lol! Just the ups and downs of a artists spirit X:-) Happy 1st of September! x

Walk in the Woods said...

It's been so long - it seems - since I've visited or posted a comment! In any event, thank you for the inspiration to play (work, whatever) in my journal today!

Or maybe I'll do some cleaning ...

:D

mandy said...

Reading this entry is like reading my own feelings and thoughts. I too am and Art Journal teacher and I can do 3 pages a day...and more, sometimes. But then, when life gets busy in other, urgent, areas, my inspiration sinks and dies. I too have totally lost inspiration the "the touch" for other creative disciplines...and yeah, it's scary as hell. But usually I find that if I sit down and stop looking at other people's work and just get busy...stroke by stroke...the touch is still there...and sometimes ispiration follows.

Wish you bunches of joy with the muslin!!!

The Gypsy said...

Great post and great thoughts on inspiration. On the other hand, have you ever had so many ideas that you got so overwhlemed and exhausted that you did nothing at all? That happens, too :-)

Zom said...

Gypsy, I call that creative constipation. Gotta get it out, even if it just writing down the ideas to work on later.