Sunday, 18 October 2009

Art Journal Cover Tutorial

I promised you guys a tutorial on my art journal cover.
Gesso it. I didn't sand first.
Plop on some acrylic paint. You don't need a palette.
Push the paint around.
I finished painting.
Now glue down some decorative paper with acrylic matte medium.
I prepared these chipboard letters with black gesso.
Here is a shot of where I do this type of journaling stuff. A corner in the studio. Non wet journal processes are done on my computer desk.
Fun home made background stamps. I painted them with some Lumiere metallic acrylic paint and then stamped the cover and the letters. Nice paint, really expensive. I think I will buy more.
Toned the letters down a bit with a mossy green I mixed up. I sponged the paint on so it would be mottled.
It was all going great... then I messed up didn't I? I had never tried my embossing powder or my VersaMark pad before. The embossing powder stuck well enough (though the font doesn't suit what I was doing) but when I heated it over the toaster, nothing happened. I was nervous about heating up the cover too much.

The powder didn't become a raised surface so I ended up brushing it off again. Yuck.
I filled in the word with a gel pen.
I gessoed some more chipboard letters.
And glued them on with UHU multi purpose adhesive. It prob'ly isn't archival, but those letters are really stuck on.

I can't wait to show my art journal class.

20 comments:

nollyposh said...

~Fabulous~ i love *peeking* into Zom's worlde... and looky there you have already some colored pages within! <3

alteredpink said...

Thanks for sharing how you made the cover. I love learning new techniques. Your art journal is beautiful!!

La Dolce Vita said...

lovely studio space!

~Barb~ said...

Love seeing your process and the outcome is fabulous! Thanks for sharing.
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Walk in the Woods said...

This is fantastic - just fantastic!!!

Carol said...

Love new techniques. I am an alterer, an embellisher, and have several altered art journals going. Thanks for the prompt!

Zom said...

I am glad you guys like the tutorial. I would love to see anyone else's cover, if they make one - whether from the tutorial or not.

Vicki, this is my finished journal. So you are right, all those pages are finished! I think I like doing the cover afterwards so that I don't have to worry about it while I am working inside.

Linda said...

Zom,

Great tutorial. I wanted to let you know that I have a Best Blog award for you on my blog. Come by and check it out at:

http://my-littlebit.blogspot.com/

Apple said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! I like learning new techniques and things!!

Lesley said...

I love seeing how journallers make their covers. Thanks for sharing.
Lesley x

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful processes and studio. I find a sense of peace in you gentle space and layers of self. I miss Australia...I was in Brisbane in 1993 for a month and it changed my life. Wonderful graceful people in an earth felt heaven here on earth. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

PJ Hornberger said...

Love how you did the cover. Especially how the stamping came out on the chip board letters. Great idea. You always inspire me. thanks!

Lorelei said...

Love the new journal - hope to see some pages soon. I'm inspired with all the autumn color and hope you are, too.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thank you amazing blog, do you have twitter, facebook or something similar where i can follow your blog

Sandro Heckler

Zom said...

Hi Sandro, and thanks.
If you look in the right column on my blog there is a place that says 'subscribe to blog' hopefully that will let you follow. Also in that column is a square that will take you to my fb page. I am under zomosborne in twitter. I hope to see you there. :)

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I have a blog at http//maryhelenfernandezstewart.blogspot.com
if you want to follow me. On Facebook
Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Thank you for your support and interest! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Welcome Sandra!