Thursday, 10 December 2009

Making a Travel Art Journal

I am intrigued by the idea of making my own art journals. I like the thought of trying different papers, sizes and ways of putting it together. Having the freedom to just stick stuff together and call it an art journal.

My DH and I are off to Adelaide to visit family. I want to bring a journal to work in, but I don't feel like taking my usual journal. I want to work differently while I am away. Because I won't be working in the studio I think that I will want to do more drawing. Because I will be somewhere different, I like the idea of drawing what is around me. A travel journal.

I wanted something really simple, without a lot of pages; so I decided to try Teesha Moore"s 16 page journal. It is made from a single sheet of watercolour paper. She has a how-to video.
Some of the pages fold out. This is the first page. I made up a square for each day that I would be gone so I could do a little synopsis of that day.
Some of the pages I left completely blank.
Others I just did some subtle backgrounds.
I quite like the way this spread turned out.
Because it doesn't have a hard cover, it is more like a large pamphlet than a journal. I don't think it was the best choice for a travel journal, too large and unprotected.

Oh well, life is one big experiment.

12 comments:

lilasvb said...

i always make my own journal when i travel, i come first with a notebook like moleskine and then, after i make another one with some papers i found one my way

La Dolce Vita said...

oh I loved that video! and I bought two sheets of paper to make a variation on her theme! I love the idea of making a travel journal out of it and I think I will do that to go to ARt Fest in March! not only a kind of Teesha tribute, but light weight as well!
well, I am JUST NOW getting around to ugly journal pages... so I will link back to you!

iHanna said...

Maybe not a handbag journal, but I'm sure you will have fun filling it. Maybe you could make a simple hard cover with cardboard to protect it a bit? Have fun!

Sydney said...

I love it, and it is simple and light weight and perfect. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get home. Is this trip for the holidays?

noye studios said...

i like it. i love the backgrounds you did so far. specially the ones with the window-pane effect.

as for the lack of a hard cover, you could: get a couple pieces of heavy cardboard or chipboard ~ paint or cover in a decorative paper ~ use something like a gaffers tape (or duct tape in a pinch) to attach at the binding. Then you just have a kind of decorative folder to protect your pages and keep them from getting too banged up.

Zom said...

I am gone this morning, so I won't be posting for a while.

No time to make a cardboard cover iHanna and Noye, but what a good idea! Next time.

It is lightweight Vita and Sydney, but too big for my handbag. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Noye, the window pane effect is done with removable masking tape. easy

xx

ABCcreativity said...

this is great!
enjoy your holiday
xo
andrea

Poetic Artist said...

I like this..You can make a cover to protect it. I am going to take a look at the video.

Lawendula said...

Came here, via Cat from Dolce Vita, you have got a great blog!
I thought maybe you would like to join my paper swap?
Look here please:
http://wovenletters.blogspot.com/2009/11/paper-swap-reminder.html

nollyposh said...

Hope you are having fun sis... Btw does DH stand for DearHeart? x

Chris said...

I think this one seems like fun and being able to spread out and not worry about mistakes or anything. Very freeing. I hope you are having a safe, happy trip.

Anonymous said...

生命是一頓豐富的宴席,有人卻寧可挨餓..................................................