Friday, 4 December 2009

What Bores me to Tears in my Art Journal

Continuing on from what makes me hate my art journal pages, is what makes me bored with them. So boring that my eyes skip over them as I turn the page. That they make me cringe if someone else likes them because I am embarrassed they are so boring.

What makes them boring is when I do someone else's idea. Often I find them so tedious that I can't finish them.

Or, related to that, when I do someone else's idea because I think it will look good. But it has no emotional resonance for me. Yuch, yuch, yuch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello~nice to meet u................................

~Barb~ said...

Oh yea, I'm feelin' ya on this one, Zom. I've done the same thing(s)...got a couple of pages like that right now. Why in the hell am I trying to use someone elses idea for pages in MY journal? Hmmm...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Anonymous said...

This is soooo true.
Just recently found your blog - i'm a journal bug too and am really enjoying your musings on the journal process. Thanks for sharing.
M

PJ Hornberger said...

I totally relate to this one! When someone suggests an idea/project for me... I want put my hands over my ears and scream "NO, NO, NO" It's the one thing that always kills my creativity... dead... gone. Takes forever to get it back. Too many wannabes want to do it thru my hands... Yuck! Merry Christmas, Zom!

Anonymous said...

I have a journal like that now. I copied others people styles and it felt odd. It felt fake, It felt like I was stealing someones intimate thoughts and making it mine. I took that journal apart. Im in the process, of gessosing over that stuff, and making it me...no matter how hideous it looks.

Zom said...

Anonymous, that is beautiful. I wish you weren't anonymous so I could write to you.