Tuesday, 1 December 2009

What Makes an Art Journal Page Ugly?

It could be many things.

We tried something new, and it didn't 'work'. We need to realize this is a success not a failure! Being creative is not efficient! You will have learned something, even if it is just that you don't like what you tried. (An art journal is a place to experiment.)

With the first spread, I found out that if you use really bright colours underneath, it is hard to get the foreground to compete. The 'background' became the foreground.
Sometimes the colours don't look good. Or the composition is all over the place.

Sometimes it has to do with how we were feeling, maybe we were getting out something ugly - in which case maybe the pages should be ugly?

Often it is just our viewpoint, and other people don't think the pages are ugly. In which case, who is right?

5 comments:

lilasvb said...

this post looks great and not uggly

La Dolce Vita said...

maybe it is our own inner critic, I love these pages..
the one with the crow is wonderful and the last one simply charming...
and I agree with you being creative is not efficient, if it were, I would be finished with my work for the the show this friday!

The Gypsy said...

I especially like the first spread - not ugly at all - right back at ya!! lol
Try again :-)

Zom said...

Okay you guys, see how you are making my point? I think they are ugly, you like 'em. Who is right? Ha ha

I will try again Fadwa.

Sharmon Davidson said...

As I always tell my students, mistakes are the best teachers. If you don't take risks, you don't learn. Only you can really know if it's a success, if it's what you were going for, so keep going! I admire your willingness to share your "mistakes"!