Saturday, 23 January 2010

Doing My Own Art Journaling Prompts


Last night I decided to do my own journaling prompts. They are good prompts, and I had only done one. I am not one for planning my pages, I like working spontaneously and I think I was a little resistant to doing anyone's prompts.

But I found out you can do prompts fairly spontaneously. I had a spread that I really hated. Usually I just go forward in such a case and continue playing with the pages, and often it works out. (Sometimes I end up with pages that look really cool, though it doesn't really matter. I try not to 'rate' my journal pages.)
But these pages just killed me. I wish I had a photo to show you. I had tried adding some clear acetate as an extra page with a photocopied drawing, but the drawing was too fine and the next page would show through it and just wash it out. Then I tried using acetate pens on the drawing and it ruined the drawing.
So I cut the acetate out and went for the prompt. It was the personal year prompt.

A giant cut out "1" pasted over an awkward picture, a little white-out to cover up bits, and a bit of collaging and writing.

It felt so healing and supportive as I drew it out. It surprised me.

4 comments:

lilasvb said...

very nice

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You write so beautifully and have given me the inspiration...small as it may be...to touch and mark my journal daily!!! I do not know what an acetate pen is??? Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Acetate pens are the marker pens that people use to write on acetate under a projector. I don't really like them for my journal.

Chris said...

Isn't art therapeutic! Even when you experience bumps and tragedies, we learn to adapt and love it all anyway.
Your journal pages continue to fascinate.