Friday, 14 May 2010

Feminist Friday - Judy Chicago

I am reading a book about Judy Chicago. She is a feminist artist (perhaps the first artist who identified herself that way) who effected me strongly in the late 70's. Reading her story is revisiting a seminal influence in my young womanhood, and now I get to do that from the viewpoint of a fifty year old woman. I am more impressed than ever.

The above is a photo of her iconic work the Dinner Party that celebrates and honours over 1000 phenomenal women from history. Women that in the 70's were almost completely excluded from history books. When I was first entering college, there were no women listed in my art history books.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Oh... Mum said the Dinner Party is beautiful!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Judy Chicago is an amazing woman and women of the 60's...70's...80's... 90's are still omitted from art history books. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart