Monday, 6 September 2010

Back to Painting

I haven't done any oil painting since the group show at Retrospect Galleries in early August. I have been in the studio doing stuff, I was clearing and cleaning for a while, then planning my new series and creating small compositional sketches for the new work. I spent a week or so on a finished drawing that I proceeded to ruin with an acrylic wash. After which I prepared a few canvases. But I hadn't done any oil painting for six weeks or so. Until today.

Drawing comes more naturally to me than painting, so I didn't realize how much I was missing the painting. I decided to finish a work that has been close to complete for many months. As I work on as many as nine paintings at one time, often I won't touch one for up to six months. This one was ready to go.

I love the ending of a painting. By then I have worked out most of the problems and I am at the point of putting the frosting on the cake so to speak. I paint in the details that bring a subtlety and depth that I love. It was a lovely day.

6 comments:

PaperPumpkin said...

I lust love the way you describe painting. Your studio is lovely: open and fresh! Have a wonderful day! ~Kathy

lilasvb said...

i ilke how you gives description of process

lynne h said...

hey zom,

somehow this is the first post that i've seen since you've been back (i know this because i just scrolled down and see that i've missed some : ). love 'seeing' you again; reading your words, seeing your images...

xo

nollyposh said...

*Love* pics of your creating space <3

Zom said...

I think I would like to do more posts on process. Just writing about what I am doing and why.

Thanks for everyone's comments. <3 <3

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

What a peaceful serene studio...the natural light is a nourishing energy for your soul and spirit. I have missed you so. Peace be with you, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart