Monday, 27 September 2010

Beginnings can be Slow

These are the studies I have been doing under the fig trees. Studies are different from drawings. As the name says they are a study of the subject, a way to get to know it. They are different from a finished drawing which is meant to be displayed.
I draw the trees as a way of experiencing them. Try drawing something from life. You will know it in a different way than you did before.
I didn't get a lot done last week. Beginnings can be slow, there are so many decisions. I am continuing with the drawing.

I have been second guessing my decisions. Maybe I should have done the drawing in pen rather than pencil (I question this even though I know that I don't want to use pen.)

I take a chance and throw some colour into the drawing. It has been years since I have used watercolours. I am not skilled with them and am nervous. But it feels good. I like it.
I know I want a linear drawing, but how linear? How do I bring in the depth if I am not bringing in tone? I need to bring in some shading, but how much? And how do I do it without losing my line?

I am running back and forth from drawing on the table to putting it on the easel. I cannot see how the drawing is working when it is lying on the table. I should just work on it on the easel but I am being silly.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

You are lucky to have those big beautiful trees to study . Thank you for sharing your thinking process , it makes me curious . I love hearing about an artists approach to their art .

PaperPumpkin said...

I like the questions you ask yourself, Your thought process is fascinating to me. I am enjoying your fig tree studies!

nollyposh said...

i love your insights... i think a true artist has such pains <3

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Yes beginnings can be slow ...but the elegance you have captured with you sketching is quite impeccable. Lovely process dear one...where do you really have to be right now...with your Art process. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Gabriela said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I wish I could draw like that!

Zom said...

I am glad you guys are enjoying the artist posts. It's a challenging creative time for me at the moment and I didn't know if my struggles would be of interest.

Gabriela, anyone can learn to draw. It just takes a lot of practice.
xox

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Your struggles are our struggles ... I am still struggling with the collage for the young family where the Dad has had to go back to Afghanistan and leave his new son. I am also working on several ideas for the live Venice painting demonstration for the fund raiser on Saturday. Stretch and Fly...here we all go in the Art journey. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart