Tuesday, 14 September 2010

I Wanna Make a Cool T-shirt

I have been thinking how cool it would be to wear a t-shirt with a journal page on it.

I have already made one t-shirt through Zazzle. It was of mixed success. The image came out smaller than I expected and the colours were dulled. But I am still excited that I can put my own images on a shirt - and loved that I could put stuff on the back too. This one has a little fish on the back.
Yesterday I tried to get together a journal page T. I picked the page below (it is unfinished):
I wanted to use the figure cut out because I thought that would look better than a square stuck in the middle of the shirt. So I took it into Photoshop. I don't do much in Photoshop, usually just change image sizes. I did take a short course about a year ago, but to say my skills are limited is a vast vast understatement.
After an hour or maybe it was two I managed to rid myself of the background and ended up with:

Fantastic. I went to Zazzle and uploaded my picture. It looked kinda weird. The girl had no legs. Amazing the stuff that just doesn't occur to me. On the page she looked okay. But somehow floating on my t-shirt with no legs at the bottom of her skirt did not look right.
It would have been cool if I could have placed her at the hem of my shirt, but there is only one place you can put your image on Zazzle, in the middle of your chest. Damn.

8 comments:

Walk in the Woods said...

What fun! I dig zazzle and you can do there - for yourself and potentially others who might want to wear and flaunt your art! :)

La Dolce Vita said...

you could do a printer transfer too... and what about a line at the bottom? something to ground the image? she is great btw...

lilasvb said...

you are so creative. i did start a journal, love the process. big thanks to you

lynne h said...

ha! it's so funny the things that don't appear to us, isn't it?! she IS great...

i'm off to check out zazzle...

xoxo

Zom said...

Rose, I hadn't thought about other people wearing her. That could be cool.

La Dolce, printer transfer is a good idea. Do they stay through washes?

That is great Valery. You are so creative too!

Lynne, wow imagine your little faces on a t-shirt! That would be fantastic! I imagine a whole sea of them!

susan christensen said...

Hi there, Zom - wondering if you can tell me what your resource for Photoshop training was. I really need to get this powerful tool figured out. I am using it like a stone tablet and chisel at the moment.
Really like your images - glad I found you! (thanks, Lynne!)

Zom said...

Hi Susan, thanks for coming over.

I took Photoshop through a local community college, the same one I occasionally teach at. Not much help to you I am afraid, unless you are planning a visit to Australia?

nollyposh said...

i ~Love~ wearable art <3 <3 <3 (s'pecially yours) x