Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Continuing on with the New Painting

This was the underpainting that I started for the new painting a few weeks ago. Perhaps you remember from my earlier post.
And then I continued on by whiting out the figure with gesso. As this underpainting was in acrylic I could use acrylic gesso. You can paint oil over acrylic, but not the other way around. The figures on the left are photocopies of the drawing. I used them to help me with size and composition.
This was my second painting. This time the background was done in oil so I overpainted with underpainting white. It is oil but dries faster than regular titanium white. It looks pretty bad, but that doesn't matter at this point.
Here I have begun the figure. She looks pretty ghoulish, but I am not worried. She is only an underpainting, I have more layers to go. I am just laying out the colours and drawing to see where to go next.
Now a bit further along. Can you see that I have changed the background? I put a glaze of burnt sienna in oil to warm it up and relate it more to the figure. I have worked into her face to get some sense of her. Next I will start working into her 'hair' and torso. I haven't really worked out the fungus-hair yet so I am a bit nervous about that. I don't know if I need to go back and finish the drawing first or if I should just jump into it on the painting. It will probably depend on whether I feel like drawing or painting when I return to the studio.

11 comments:

nanakin1 said...

Watching the process you go through is mesmerizing to me. Love to see the changes :)

La Dolce Vita said...

fabulous Zom and I love seeing the process!

lilasvb said...

i enjoy to see the process and can't wait to see the final

heather noye said...

this is looking fabulous!!! i just started working in oils this summer as well. fun to see the process for other artists. :)

Zom said...

I am glad you guys are enjoying this, thanks.

Valerie, you think this is almost finished! LOL It is ages away.

~Barb~ said...

This is really gorgeous already, Zom! I'm loving it and can't wait to see where it goes from here. I'm excited!
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Zom said...

Thanks Barb.

Rona Gregory said...

Looking great! I love watching the progress too, and the way you explain it in 'normal' speak without getting all technical! Inspires me to try stuff I'd never thought of!

Thanks Zom!

Ro

Harnett-Hargrove said...

It is so very interesting to see your process. This one's going to be a beauty. -J

nollyposh said...

Funny tonight she feels like me... My hair has started to fall out and i have booked in to have it shaved on wed... The look upon her face is the look upon mine... Perhaps i will think upon this transformation in Faerie like fashion... ~Thankyou~

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

I think your blog is fascinating! Will be back!