Thursday, 21 October 2010

Drawing in the Studio

I was drawing in the studio on Tuesday. Most of the day I was working on my drawing of a girl near a huge fig tree. I am using photo references for this, though I have been out drawing in the fig trees as well. Drawing them from life has been really helpful when I use the photos because, as I said in the earlier post, there is so much information missing. In the photos you get no idea of their size or the incredible depth and dimension of these powerful trees. Depth gets lost a lot in photos. I spent a lot of time trying to put back in information that I couldn't see in the photos, places where depth and detail was just lost.
In the afternoon I brought in this vine and was drawing it from life. I noticed, again, how much easier (and more fun) it is to draw the real thing. Everything was there, I could see all the little details, like how the leaves have a tiny notch where they attach to the branch, as well as being able to turn it over to see what is happening on the back.

5 comments:

lilasvb said...

beautifull , your draw is so pure, simple.
last sunday i was model for art class in "lucy" with clay on the body, it was amazing.

La Dolce Vita said...

isn't it though, been drawing leaves too as we have an abundance of them in yellow and gold right now and they are too beautiful to resist!! can't wait to see your finished piece!

PaperPumpkin said...

SImply beautiful. I could watch your process for hours...

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I love having my natural inspiration right in front of me! Imagine Peace, Mary Helen

Zom said...

Valerie, I have never drawn a model with clay on them. Interesting...

La Dolce, you would have to do them in colour wouldn't you?

Pumpkin, thank you. I am glad you find it interesting.

Dear Mary Helen ... xox