Monday, 25 October 2010

Looking at the New Series

The past week I went a bit further on the drawing with the fig tree. (Go here to see the earlier version.) It has been slow going with lots of decisions. Somehow I feel like this drawing is setting the mood for the series, so there is a lot of time spent with me just sitting and contemplating.
I hadn't originally planned on the brown ink wash over the tree. I wanted it to be just drawing. But the tree didn't have enough 'weight' so I took a chance with the wash. I am glad I did. I want it to have a feeling of looming over her small figure.
(It looks yellow because of the light when I took the photo.)
The next day I really felt the need to have some kind of 'overview' of what is happening with the new work. How is my older work that I have already finished to fit in with the new? Which of my finished paintings are part of the new series, and which aren't? I brought a few works that were in my last group show out of the house and into the studio trying to see what fit.

This is what I ended up with. Some of the paintings are finished, quite a few aren't. My experiments and beginnings are in there too. Also a book on Moreau, as I feel a few of his paintings have a message for me right now.

There were two finished paintings that I haven't shown, and four unfinished that don't fit in. Two of these I may finish, the other two I will discard.

5 comments:

lynne h said...

i love the brown wash on the tree; it seems perfect to me.

i like reading about all of this process, zom... : )

xo

susan christensen said...

Zom, I like the delicate hand you have shown - the slow pace is working to your advantage. thanks for showing and sharing your process.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Dear Zom,
I love your process... and there are times when I find myself returning to previous sketches from maybe even years before so I consider this part of my personal art walk. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

nollyposh said...

i so love these journeys with you <3

kathyclarklongislandart said...

Glad to see you're back! I was scrolling around looking for online classes. Actually, the way you photograph and describe your process, it's a class in itself.
I love sketching trees too. And as for the photo verses real,I think it's good to take a photo of the still life just for a reference. Thanks again for sharing, you're amazing as always!