Monday, 8 November 2010

Different Ways to Art Journal

It is hard to believe that I have only been art journaling since July 2008. It is such a big part of my life.

In that time I have had several different approaches and ways that I have used my journals. The fact that it is so versatile is one of the reasons I love it. I find that I will be working a certain way and after a while I will get a bit impatient or bored. The question will come up "am I finished with art journaling?" So far I am finding this just indicates time for a change. And strangely enough, I usually already have an idea what the change it, but have been putting it off.
These journal pages illustrate how I have been working for the last 4 or 5 months. Previously I was doing a lot of collage from magazine images. Then I found that I wanted to work with my own drawings. I have been drawing in my moleskine (love the moleskine card for drawing in pen and ink) and then photocopying the drawings, sometimes at various sizes, and using them for collage.
See how I used the same woman, but changed her size and colours? I photocopied the image so when I used her as a collage element she was a black and white line drawing.

This has been really fun, and I will continue, but a feeling of boredom or maybe just limitation is creeping in. Time for another change. I will tell you what that is in the next post!

8 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Welcome the change...that uneasiness...that need to move forward. I need to get back to making my own black and white sketches so I can make copies and alter to fit my needs and colors. Have a blessed week. IMAGINE and live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Connie said...

I LOVE this Zom!! LOVE it!

Carin said...

These are both wonderful. I'm only just getting back into drawing again after years not doing it and feel that same shift in my own art journalling. I want to add more of my own stuff. Can't wait to see where your new shift takes you.

susan christensen said...

Very helpful information, Zom. I am intrigued by the idea of photocopying ones own dwgs to collage with. Change is Good!

La Dolce Vita said...

your drawings are just wonderful and I agree that change is the only constant...

the GyPsY said...

I agree, getting bored is only a sign that you need a new challenge. I love the top image with the (is it a squirel?) sleeping on her "turbin". I've been feeling the same way about usign my own images and words in my collages. Waiting to see what you do next :-)

Tammie Lee said...

It is wonderful to see how you journal. Such a great idea to be able to use your drawings over and over in new ways. I will love seeing what you do when you are ready for change.

Ricë said...

oh, i love this one of the squirrel in the turban!