Friday, 26 November 2010

Drawing to Understand Stuff

I have been wanting to draw this sweet native violet growing in our paving. Yesterday I did.

There is something intimate about drawing something. I have always loved violets, but I didn't realize until I drew one, how they bunch in little islands attached by their long stem. At what angle the stems actually attach, how the stems then sprout tiny tiny buds that become bitty leaves that grow and reach up and become these islands. And how the flowers perch above it all.

There was so much to see.

8 comments:

lilasvb said...

i miss byron bay and the beautifull nature and also your art class

the GyPsY said...

Yes, that's the beauty of art

Poetic Artist said...

The joy to notice the beauty of the small things. wonderful

susan christensen said...

I, too, find that drawing is the best and truest way to really SEE something, perhaps because one needs to slow down enough to actually look with intention. I havn't drawn from reality in a while, so thanks for reminding me to do that.

Tammie said...

such a sweet sketch.
I completely agree, quite intimate!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I so enjoy the touch of the pencil to paper when you are intimately drawing a small beauty others often overlook altogether. The poetry of the line says it all. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Hybrid J said...

I'm loving the insight of this post.

We all tend to think that we know something, but as an artist, your drawing skill allows you to go deeper in understanding.

Great post! ;)

nollyposh said...

You have a wonderful eye x