Monday, 13 December 2010

Sale Remnants

I bought these remnants on sale today at a shop that makes children's wear. I have been looking for bits and pieces for refashioning my clothes with. Remnants from the fabric shop are more fabric than I want (I just want bits) and too expensive. I have been looking for good stuff at the thrift store, but haven't found anything.
I like these because they are high quality and have cute designs. Some are already partially sewn, but I can take them apart if I need to.

I am considering making the semi-circle with ruffles in the middle into an apron. I think would just have to cut a bit off the back and add a waist piece that ties.

The striped piece on the right is very stretchy and already sewed into a tube. I could just cut it into and have leggings. I probably won't do that.

The polka dot is also stretchy and the rest of the fabric is woven. Check out the kids on a may pole in the screened borders, one white and one red.

I got the whole lot for $5.

7 comments:

eva said...

The long stretchy bit could also be a shrug if you cut a hole in the middle for your back. It might not matter that it's not sewn to shape as long as it's really stretchy. The apron will be super!

I share your thoughts on keeping things out of the bin, and trying to give them new life. I don't shop a lot, but my friend does and she keeps giving me her old clothes. Lots of office clothes, V-necks in subtle colours and such! So I dye, cut, re-sew.. add some trimmings and bling etc.. I crochet rugs with the worst bits, find new homes if I can see them fitting another friend..and give the rest to charity.
One can probably get a new item of clothing for the cost of dying an old item, yet I just don't like the idea of wasting stuff.

La Dolce Vita said...

great bits and my mind takes off with you sewing these and embellishing! have fun!

lynne h said...

WOW! this is some nice stuff, zom! xoxo

nollyposh said...

i LOVE op~shopping <3
i often use children's clothes & their trims for my dolls and i agree, so colorful and interesting... i have a friend who does the same when she makes her up~cycled jumpers/jackets X:-)
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You are my kind of shopper dear lady of the rainforest! Lovely collection of inspirations. Enjoy playing with these delicious bits and pieces. Imagine and Live in Peae, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

susan christensen said...

I look forward to seeing what you do with these bits and pieces, Zom. Nice treasure trove.

Ricë said...

for ideas to set your mind whirling with KNITS--go to alabama chanin's website--i think it's alabamachanin.com. and be sure to check out the next issue of Belle Armoire. just a hint.