Saturday, 8 January 2011

Funk And Flash style Embroidery

I told Rice of Notes From the Voodoo Cafe that I would post my 90's embroidery because it was done in a kind of Funk And Flash style. It looks rather more modest than I remembered. I love satin stitch embroidery, but it takes ages.
On this same jean jacket from the late 80's, before the winged heart, I had another embroidery. It was a beautiful crow, its wings spread wide. All satin stitch and very realisitic. I embroidered it onto a circle and then appliqued it onto the jacket. I took off later and gave that beautiful embroidery away to a dear friend who reused it for her sacred pipe, so I can't complain (though I would like to, just a little bit. I would not have the patience to embroider it again.)

While I am at it, I will show you the entire jacket. I would love some suggestions for it. I used to love that 80's oversized look, now it just seems two sizes too big. What should I do with it?
Sorry about my smirk. I never know what expression to have while waiting for my camera to go off. I should just cut off my head in these photos.
You can see how oversized the jacket is.
It is a bit better from the back. The sleeves are too long as well. It looks like I am wearing a man's jacket. Very unflattering. I never wear it anymore.

I no longer like the ribbons anymore. I could take them and the tiny hearts off. But what would I do with it? Come on, throw out any thoughts, doesn't matter how wild. We will do some creative brain-tanking. Brain-mashing. What do you call it?


3 comments:

Ricë said...

omog, the satin stitch is FABULOUS! i'm so intimidated by good satin stitch. it's the OCD person's nightmare, almost like counting cross-stitch. i showed this to earl, and we both had the same idea: crop it. and then you can make darts in the lower part so it fits. if you're anything like me, the idea of ripping out jeans' seams to make it smaller just makes your eyes cross and your teeth clench. or is that just me after all? i did this with a jacket someone gave me--a total 80's jacket. cut it off about rib length, made some darts from about the middle down to the bottom. no hem--just raw edges. it's like a shrug. if you want, let me know and he'll take some photos for you.

lynne h said...

Sorry about my smirk. I never know what expression to have while waiting for my camera to go off. I should just cut off my head in these photos.

ha! zom, i am laughing!!

i think rice's (and earl's) idea sounds good... i like the winged heart a lot...

xoxo

Poetic Artist said...

I like the heart with wings..Roll the sleeves up a little..and go with the ideal from your friends.
I always add a vintage pin to the front.