Monday, 3 January 2011

Working on a New (Old) Painting

I haven't been in the studio much over the holidays, but I have managed a few days. A good thing too, it really helps my sanity.
This painting has been set aside for maybe 8 months while I was working on a new track for a group show. I wasn't sure whether I would continue as I didn't know if it fit into my new series. But in October, when I worked out which paintings were continuing, it was one of them. That post is here. You can see this painting along with the others I am keeping.
I forgot to take a before photo, so I had already altered the wall by her feet before I photographed it. It is a small painting, about 10" x 12".
Here I have worked on her skin and hair, and put the rat in a bit stronger.
It is difficult to show the more subtle changes. I have been working some yellow-green highlights into her dress to make it more harmonious with the wall. Obviously I put in her eyes. The white lines on the wall are actually chalk lines to draw out the perspective of the bricks, I will rub them out later.

I realize that this painting isn't as immediately appealing as others that I have posted and I feel some need to explain. When creating a series of paintings, it is kind of like a story. Hopefully the paintings each contribute something new to the story and create a kind of 'dialogue' with each other. This means that you might see a painting a little differently because of the paintings that are next to it, or how often a similar theme is repeated. While I don't consider myself a dark painter, I don't really want to be seen as whimsical either. I am more interested in the combination of light and dark that make up reality. So I am sometimes moved to put in some darker works to balance out ones that I think would be interpreted more fancifully.

8 comments:

La Dolce Vita said...

really like the rat in the corner, would love to see this piece in your show.. and your altered clothing pieces below are fabulous! keep going!

urbandon (Don Pezzano) said...

Indeed it is the combination of dark and light that makes that painting very interesting and keeps the viewer thinking.

"oh, that's so whimsical!" are words I never want to hear though.

heather noye said...

this is very good! great composition

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

At first the rat threw me for a loop but when I realized the amount of detail you have put onto a relatively small canvas.. I am glad you have returned to to add details. I have returned to a larger piece with a more "assemblage" frame in deeper colors and it is surprising how much a little more process has improved the center images. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Thanks for the comments. It is not finished yet. I should probably say that when I post, as I take my paintings further than many people do.

http://daisyyellow.squarespace.com said...

I find it interesting to see your progress shots, so thank you for posting them! What struck me about this painting is actually the flow of the green fabric, just dreamy. Cheers.

Just Jacquie said...

Wow its been awhile since I have visit your website. You have done alot. Your work is awesome! I have a question. do you use live models or photos as a guide?

Zom said...

Jacquie, if I had the option I would always use live models. You can do a much better painting from a live model. But, unfortunately, there aren't many people who are willing to stand still for hours on end so I beg their goodwill for the photos and then have to paint from those. I usually have to use several photos for a single pose, and even then it is painful and difficult. There is much information left out of photos that I have to figure out on my own.