Friday, 4 February 2011

Beginning a New Painting

On Thursday and Friday I began a new painting. Beginnings are the most exciting, everything feels possible.
I looked through my sketchbook, deciding which composition to use. There are always lots of ideas waiting.
This is an old painting that I never finished. It was one of the initial works in my In Between series. The later paintings were better so I lost interest in this one.
It is almost 2 years old so there is no problem with painting over it. I don't have any other supports ready and I want to start something new, so I decide to sand it back.
More sanding. I like the texture. I am just trying to make it less definite, it doesn't need to go back to white.
But I also don't want to be fighting the old image, so I coat it with lead white. Lead white is a beautiful white, and very stable, but they don't sell it in Australia any longer because the lead is so dangerous. I don't recommend using it for that reason.
I am roughly drawing out the new composition with vine charcoal. I am using the sketch on the far left which I have gridded out.
I have turned the support upsidedown so I won't be distracted by the old image.
Then I can begin drawing it out with some neutral colour used with an underpainting medium. This isn't an exact drawing, more of an approximate blocking out.

10 comments:

Julianna Koh said...

So much work preparing a painting let alone painting it - tks for sharing the behind-the-scenes. I dig the texture and colours.

susan christensen said...

I always enjoy seeing your process, Zom, Good start. Will be interested to see how this one develops.

Jared Knight said...

I love it. I haven't seen a good step by step like this in awhile. You really understand oil and that is refreshing. Great job :)

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Thank you for sharing this process...I am enchanted by the fact that we all need to really accept the process as the journey for making our art. Have a great weekend! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

eva said...

I love seeing work in progress.. I also sometimes paint over old work, and find the transition bit to look well cool- sometimes even better than when it's covered up completely and made into a new all "perfect" painting. I keep wanting to integrate that aspect into my work, as I find it looks more alive somehow,but it's hard making mistakes on purpose and also to override the inner perfectionist who prefer to overwork things till the painting is all stiff and dead. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Zom said...

Eva, IMHO the best tool against perfectionism is to create more. and I say that as a recovering perfectionist, haha. The more I make the less I feel each one has to be perfect. Art Journaling helps me with this a LOT. Because there are so many pages and they aren't there to be shown.

As for paintings, I am fooling around with starting backgrounds like I do in my art journal. Sometimes over an old painting, like you see here. But I don't have many of those so I will just work in layers and then paint over the top. Look at this post to see what I mean:http://bit.ly/eKx95s In other words, you don't have to have mistakes to work over the top.

As for the overfinishing, working on several paintings at the same time helps. I can leave a painting for weeks that might be finished and work on something else. I go back and see if it is 'done'.

nollyposh said...

Wow i love watching this process... and to me each step is beautiful... i love the transition and fading and disappearing and reappearing...It's like watching magic X:-)

urbandon (Don Pezzano) said...

Love to see the process. It's been many years since I put oil to canvas.

Zom said...

Vicki, making stuff is magic really, isn't it?

lynne h said...

i love this, zom... that background is lovely...