Tuesday, 22 February 2011

How to do Background Undercollage for your Art Journal

Easy peasy. Paste down some magazine pictures or book pages. Strong images work well. You can cover the pages or only undercollage in selected areas.
Here I used torn edges so they would blend in more. Either way. Do different page backgrounds differently. Try out stuff. It's fun.

Glue them down well with acrylic matte medium (be generous). Stick glue won't keep its 'stick' when you paint over the top. If you smooth the papers down with a ruler or credit card while still drying you will have less bubbling.
Then paint over the top with gesso. For this background I used black gesso, with the first one I used white (forgot to take a photo of the white one.) You can wipe off some of the gesso if you want the undercollage to show more. But it is intended to be a background. I usually put more collage over the top.
I will put more writing on this page, some over the top of the undercollage, to take it more into the background.
Here is the beginning of some collage and drawing over the first undercollage.

You can see how the magazine images were knocked back with the white gesso. Some of the images I completely covered, others I wiped back again. I then painted over the gesso before I added the collage and drawing.

11 comments:

PaperPumpkin said...

You've inspired me again! I'm going to find black gesso today and begin! Thank you, Kathy

gayle said...

Love to see how people create their backgrounds, thank you for sharing this! :)

susan christensen said...

Hi, Zom - I always enjoy seeing your process. Happy day to you, sus

lilasvb said...

really love to follow you

Pamela McCarville said...

Very nice tut! Simple steps but very strong images. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I love this affirmation...I am going to take care of myself....NOW Lovely backgrounds for the sketchbook pages. I am sorry I have not been brave enough to post my pages right now. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

I am glad you guys liked the tutorial. :)

iHanna said...

Zom, I really like both these pages! I'm sitting her doodling with a new white pen (it's a pilot gel pen) and it is so great - I think I need to get a black paper or paint some pages black to do more dooldes! :-)

toliveinspired said...

Love it.. love the images in the black one.. I will have to try that.. I have done a small attempt at something like that but this gives me more inspiration and direction! Thanks

Ophelia said...

I found your blog and absolutely love your collage work. This is such a great journal spread. I love it!!

Phoenix said...

I love what you do, your work is amazing ! you certanly have so many talents ! congratulations !