Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Sewing and Refashioning

I have begun my dresslet. That is what Rice from Voodoo Cafe calls them. This one is going to be a dress (so I am not sure if it qualifies as a dresslet), but is for wearing over pants as well.
Here is the pattern. I am doing one with the v-neck, then making it longer with a blue border at the hem.

It has been so long since I have sewn anything, especially from a pattern. Ten years? More? I had decided that I didn't like sewing and was going to sell my sewing machine. But the refashioning has ignited my interest again.

And this time, I feel free to experiment. I never used to feel that way. I would follow the pattern exactly, not trusting myself to change anything.
See the white bodice-thingie? I was concerned that the pattern size might be a little big so I decided to make the top part in muslin first. I made the shoulder a bit longer because I am so long in the body. But it didn't look good. Then, because it was a little baggie, I tried making the side seams larger but that made the armholes too small. Then I tried darts in the back. I liked that.
Funny to have darts in the back, but the top is more of a yoke than a bodice. It ends above the peak of the breast so darts in the front wouldn't have worked.

I rather enjoyed doing all the fooling around. I had the patience for it because I am plan to make several versions.
Here is a top I got from the thrift store. I like the bodice with gathers underneath, and I like the black and pink plaid. The length was unflattering for me, I have a pear shape with thunder thighs so I don't like tops ending there.
Here it is, shorter. Strangely satisfying, cutting things off. Looks a bit like a maternity top, but I like that shape. So easy to wear.
Here is a linen dress I got from the thrift store. I like the colour and that it is linen. It is very dumpy.
My plan is: cut off the length to knee height. Take in the side seams a bit. Recut the armholes so they angle into my shoulder (much more graceful). And new buttons. I would like to cover buttons for it in a patterned fabric.
The dress is actually made from seven pieces, so I am not sure whether I need to take all 6 seams in or can get away with just the side seams. I don't think it will get finished before the weather gets cold.
Finally this shirt. I have already taken in the side seams. The only plan I have at the moment is a dye job, a gutsier blue. Then we will see.

7 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

It seems you are having a wonderful time playing...using one idea helps us all transition to another adaptation. We are trapped in a ice/snowstorm weather cycle...Australia is under water and we are under ice and snow! :O)! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

urbandon (Don Pezzano) said...

You are going sew crazy! Wonderful!

lilasvb said...

i can feel how much you enjoy to play with your clothes! great

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am sending you prayers for safe keeping with Cyclone Yasi knocking at your door.... I pray you are safe. We are living with blizzards and ice storms and you are under water. "This too shall pass". Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

nollyposh said...

Sew inspiring! (Pardon the pun!)
i love the Dresslet idea too-Would be so handy at the mo with my bloated bod! You are an artist in every sense X:-)

Ricë said...

i love these--so cool! you're doing a great job--wish we were nearer so we could hang out after working and set up sewing machines on your porch. i think your plans for the linen dress are spot on--i love the look of it, but who picks the hem length? someone who delights in making us look hideous, for sure. "let's make their legs look really short and dumpy, and let's make a tent around their middles and their hips." it's like the go-to length. and, yes, cutting stuff off does feel oddly satisfying. take the scissors to it and enjoy!

Zom said...

I have now discovered I can put pockets in everything. I think I will be wearing skirts and dresses more if I add pockets.

RIce, it would be loads of fun to share the refashioning with you. I think you would have to come to Australia though, not sure I could handle Texas, lol. At least you would like the weather here ( 100 today.)