Thursday, 17 March 2011

Art Journal Backgrounds

I have been away in the big city last week, looking at art but not creating. After teaching my Art Journaling class yesterday, I thought I would be jumping back into the studio and my oil painting, but instead I felt the need to reconnect with my art journal. So I spent the day doing art journal backgrounds. Easy and relaxing.

The above background was done with gesso resist. I printed with leaves and flowers, when the gesso was dry I painted over the top with thin washes of acrylic colours. Here is more information on gesso resist.
This background is also done with gesso resist and a background stamp. Before the gesso, I put down some book pages in undercollage. That is collage under your background.
Gesso resist with leaves.
Gesso resist with dandelion flowers. For this background I put down a wash of cadmium red, then printed with the flowers and finally added a thin wash of alizarin red. Transparent layers of different colours give the pages depth.
Layers of acrylic paint over gesso.
Finally, another resist. This one was a little different. I painted a thin layer of burnt sienna on the plain paper, then I printed with bubble wrap. Instead of gesso, I used matt medium to print with. Matt medium also creates a resist, but it is clear so that the burnt sienna shows through. After that was dry, I did another wash of cobalt blue.

4 comments:

La Dolce Vita said...

yes love using gesso resist, especially the bubble wrap an leaves... sounds like a good studio day...

susan christensen said...

hi, Zom - i was missing you last week. these are lovely backgrounds. thanks for sharing your processes.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I will have to play with gesso resist...your results are spectacular. I am wondering if you can apply this to fabrics as you alter your clothes as a special resist>>> Hummmm. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Imagine and Live in peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Mary Helen, I am not sure how you would do this with fabric, as afterwards you would still have the gesso which is a bit crunchy. I think they do resist on fabric with wax don't they? More your area...