Friday, 29 April 2011

How does Working Work Best for You?

Today I have been in the studio from nine in the morning until two in the afternoon. During that time I took breaks and an hour for lunch. Since leaving the studio I had a bath in which I was reading Mail Art (do you read in the bath?) and getting inspired to try some. After that I came upstairs and have been sewing on the overtunic.

I realize that I don't post the way that I actually create. I have been saving up photos of painting in the studio, and different stages of my refashioning so that I can put all the painting photos in one post and the refashioning in another. So I can list all the steps in order and make it 'coherent'. But that isn't how I work.

In the past I have forced myself to stay in the studio working from 9am to 4pm. Sometimes it went well, other times it was torturous. Other artist friends talk of how they get into the 'zone' and time just disappears as they create. I used to wonder what was wrong with me. Time never disappears for me. I can be having a good time creating, I can be having a difficult time creating, but time is always there, ticking away.

I no longer think this means something is lacking in me. People are just different. We are wired differently and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. What works best for me is jumping around. I have about six paintings on the go at the same time plus a couple of drawings in the studio. They are at different stages. In the house I have 4 art journals going, and three refashioning projects. What works for me is a few hours on this, 30 minutes on that, 20 minutes catching up on emails, a snack, and another hour art journaling. All with breaks and changes. I am not sure, but I think I end up getting about the same amount done as when I used to force myself to stick to one thing.

And I am a lot happier.

3 comments:

Walk in the Woods said...

We all have and work in our own rhythms … and while their may be similarities, like snowflakes, each one is unique and beautiful. Enjoy your happiness!

Jodi Anderson said...

I absolutely agree: Nothing is lacking.

I feel very parallel to what you've written as I've also come to find my own groove and to embrace it. Time spent in the studio varies day to day for me, but I find that when I've left it to do other things, it helps me to think outside of my own head a little more. I guess that I'm being inspired and having ideas about what to do when I'm back in that space, which gives me a better use of time when I am there.

I like what you said about time being there always. I think that it's better to be ever so aware of time than to lose it so quickly, if that makes any sense. :)

Daisy Yellow said...

Zom, The way you work does sound like it has a pleasant flow. I work in patches as well, with a lot of artsy things in progress. I really like having options when I have creative time and space!