Saturday, 9 April 2011

Rainforest Walk

My husband and I live on 80 acres of rainforest that we share with 5 other households. It is a beautiful place. Some people call it paradise.
I don't. Not because I don't love it, but because we have lived here 13 years and I am better acquainted. It is wild and enchanting, but if it is paradise it is one with poisonous snakes, deadly spiders, ants that sting, leeches, and ticks. It is a place where you keep your eyes open.
This morning a few of us met with a man who is helping us regenerate the property. We met up for a walk to see what he has accomplished. Like many places in the world this apparently wild forest has been mistreated through ignorance. There is a huge problem with introduced weeds that take over from the native plants.

We have already planted over 10,000 native trees. It is a huge undertaking.
I don't go into the forest often, and seldom alone. People do go in, it isn't that dangerous, but I feel more relaxed when with other people. I enjoy it on its edges where we live.
Today it was wonderful to go for a good walk. We have had a lot of rain but I didn't get any leeches and wasn't bothered by mosquitos. It was lovely.
There was a lot of climbing up and down hills.

7 comments:

lilasvb said...

just beautifull

eva said...

LUSH! Everywhere is more exotic when you don't live there.. and anywhere can become normal if you DO live there. I guess you become desensitized. I also forget the fact that I live in a beautiful place, but try to remind myself of it so all the beauty isn't wasted on ignorant eyes;)
I hope you post more pictures from your forest, it does look like a paradise, but I get what you're saying about the bugs and venomous forest critters.. I'm sure they make the forest experience somewhat different than what people imagine it to be from looking at the pictures. Photos makes stuff look so serene,at the right temperature, void of noise, I don't know, like something you can control. And I'm sure the jungle is none of those things;)

Walk in the Woods said...

Beautiful.

susan christensen said...

Zom, I love seeing your forest - fascinating to think that we both live in rain forests, so lush but so different!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You do live in a moist heavenly paradise...I dream at night of the limited times I was able to walk through your Aussie rainforests...I felt such renewal ...rebirth...serenity. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Ricë said...

Leeches?! Ticks? Deadly spiders? Aieeeee--I think your studio, with the windows open and the birds outside, is about as close to nature as I'd need to be. The birds sounded lovely. No leeches!

nollyposh said...

WoW! Gorgeous... and lol about the Leeches, last time i went for a walk with my eldest daughter she ended up with one on her leg & we had to burn the little bugga off! X:-/