I have begun another painting. This photo is where is where I have left her in the studio. It is really just an underpainting, most of it will be painted over with several layers.
To really see what is happening tonally, I decided that I needed to put the vine in. That is because you really need the darkest and lightest parts of the painting to be able to gauge the tones.
Below is how I got to this point.
I am experimenting with doing my underpainting in acrylics. I am hoping this will get the whole process going much more quickly. Here I have drawn out the painting, just enough to indicate placement, and put down the first coat of ochre yellow.
Some printing with leaves. The top leaves are printed with gesso. Some more colour into the background.
Seeing that, I decide to make the background darker. I am not worried about how she looks at this point. I know the drawing is off, but there is plenty of time to correct it.
Bringing in some flesh tones so I can see how the warmth works with the background. Sorry about how the light is changing the colours, it makes it kind of confusing to see the changes.Bringing in more darks into her so I can see how the tones are going to work. Tones are how dark or light colours are.
It felt awkward working with acrylics. They feel different to oils, my usual medium. My drawing was awkward because of this. But like I said, it doesn't matter because I have plenty of time to correct it.
I am happy with how quickly I got to this point.