Friday, 6 May 2011

Laura Ashley Refashion

Remember the 1980's Laura Ashley dress? I found it in a thrift store and had already cut off the puffy sleeves and lace collar before I remembered to take a photo. Here I am, holding the sleeve on so you can get an idea of the 'before'.
Already so different. A lot can be done in refashioning garments just by cutting stuff off, whether sleeves or length or whatever.
So I made it into a jumper, as Americans say. Or a pinafore if you are Australian.
I don't know if I am completely happy with the neckline. Square might have been better. I took it from the pattern for the dress that sucked. I didn't have any other necklines, but it is very boring ordinary. I think I need some other patterns to work from.

7 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

It is never too late to make the square neckline possible...where will you wear your new re-do Ashley? I just assumed the rainforest was always moist and humid...what do I know? party on Lady!Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

We have short winters, maybe 2 months of weather in the high 50's to low 60's. That feels cold to me. Most people don't have central heating.

You are right I could recut the neckline to square, but having already finished it off I will leave it for now.

susan christensen said...

Hey Zom, I like what you did to modernize the LA dress and personally LOVE wearing jumpers, all year round. Never thought to take sleeves off, but will be casting a more discerning eye around the old thrift store henceforth. xxxxoo - sus

SaraLynn said...

Wow, what a makeover! You've really turned this into a lovely dress!

From Broadway said...

looks great! Gives it a whole different look without the sleeves!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I actually like the pic of one sleeve off - gives me an idea of before and the possibilities of after. The neckline is excellent, shows off your collar bones:).

nollyposh said...

i think it looks fab! X:-)