Sunday, 1 May 2011

Sewing Blind: More Refashioning

I am having much more fun sewing blind than I ever had sewing from a pattern. It is slow, it is inefficient, my mind says "this is stupid, you could have finished it by now if you had a pattern." True, true, but I didn't have a pattern - I am creating it from a thrift man's shirt and a photo I took in a change room. I wouldn't have believed I could do it.
Below I am sewing on the bias tape to finish off the neckline and armholes.
The bodice is mostly finished. I plan more button holes in the back (I turned the shirt around so it would button up the back). I will also change the white buttons that were on the shirt to dark purple ones. But first I have a problem.
I am a bit stuck now. See how the bodice curves up in the front in the change room photo? I love that, so graceful. I managed to cut my bodice like that but now I want to cut out the skirt. I want it lightly gathered rather than full. How do I cut the curved shape? How much do I cut to get lightly gathered? I must confess I don't know.

8 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Zom, I'm no sewer but here's what I'd try: just get about 10cm of the skirt fabric in your hands and push it together to simulate the slight gathering you want. Measure how much smaller it is and (somehow) work out how much you need for the whole skirt to gather that some proportion (does that make sense?). Also I wouldn't cut the skirt on a curve, just do it straight and then you can even it up when you do the hem.

Zom said...

Christine, that is great advice. Thank you.

As for the skirt, I am thinking of gathering it, sewing it and cutting off the top afterwards. That way the design won't be slanted.

It will be interesting to see if it works, teehee.

La Dolce Vita said...

wish I could help, not a machine sewer at all, you are so brave, learning as you go... thanks for sharing it all with us...

Ricë said...

I'm all about Bryn Walker and asymmetry these days, so that's what I'd suggest--going with asymmetry. But you're going for something specific, so ignore me. It looks fabulous so far--

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Christine is on the right path...to cut the fullness add a couple small darts that will disappear when the skirt is finished and on. Peace, mary helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Rice, thanks for introducing me to Bryn Walker, good inspiration.

Mary Helen, the darts are a good idea.

Kathy said...

Zom and Ricë, I just weeded out the raspberry patch while listening to the podcast (yes, I had an hour before going to work) and now I want to meet you both for an afternoon at Starbucks! (Off the subject, the wren's have just landed to start nesting! Let the chattering begin) What a great conversation! As for the top, I would gather up more fabric than you think you need to get the gentle gather that you want and sew them wrong sides together using the curve of the bodice as your guide. Then trim and hem. That way your print should be straight and your curve should be true. I think! If you want you could do a practice shell out of muslin or other fabric to be sure you're on the right track.
Thanks for an enjoyable hour in the garden.
Kathy

Zom said...

So Kathy, what time are we meeting? I could use a cuppa!

I am saving your suggestion as I do not quite understand it yet. Hopefully with more contemplation. It is probably my lack of sewing experience.