Sunday, 29 May 2011

What the Heck is It?

I went to David Jones department store yesterday looking for a red scarf. They are surprisingly difficult to find. I wanted a finely knit one, not too wide.

On my search I found this intriguing piece. I don't know what to call it. I don't know what it is. It is long and shaped like a scarf but has buttons and buttonholes on the ends of both sides. When you button both sides it looks like the photo above. It looks kind of like a rectangular unshaped vest but there is no neck hole.
This is it from the front. Both sides are buttoned through the bottom half. How are you supposed to wear it? That was the question I asked the saleswoman. She had no idea. We went on a tour through the floor, asking at least four other saleswomen. None knew, and for the most part they were only politely interested.

Another customer came over at one point and tried out another way of wearing it. I wish I had thought to take a photo. I think she buttoned opposite sides together after she had draped it around me. We had a fun 5 minutes talking about possibilities until her husband called her back. It turned out she was a sculpture.

Later she found me again and asked if I was going to buy it. I replied that I was, if just to puzzle out ways to wear it. I was hopeful that I could look it up on the internet. I imagined a website that would show me five ways to wear it. It has the brandname Gregory Ladner, apparently a designer in Melbourne.
I couldn't find a website or anything that looks like it. Here is probably the most obvious way to wear it. Not really very attractive. I have buttoned one side together and looped it over my neck.
This is how it looks in the back. You can see the unbuttoned buttons under my arm.
Here it is just worn unbuttoned as a scarf. Have you ever seen anything like this? Any ideas?

10 comments:

Bren said...

Well that is a mystery, I sure hope one of your readers can give us the final answer, but for now I think the one you came up with makes sense :-)

Zom said...

Here is one possibility from @miscellaneaarts on twitter. http://bit.ly/mKp2Lc It works, though the arms are baggier than hers.

Kathy said...

I think you may have had it right in the first pic. Perhaps you are to put your head through both openings and the buttons are an embellishment? You could probably pull it up over your head for a head covering if there is enough fabric. Just a thought.

Zom said...

Kathy, I don't think I have tried my head through both openings, that is an interesting idea. It does fit over my head as a hood, but isn't very flattering.
thanks for playing. :)

ZenDotStudio said...

I wonder if you could put it on, button only the bottom button and then slip your head through the opening again and get a wrapped look.

I have a giant scarf thermal knit scarf that I love. It's a long rectangle and you tie the end and keep looping it over your head and pulling it around until you like the look.

Hope some of this makes sense. Love the look buttoned.

Connie said...

Hansel said it's a poncho scarf!

Kel said...

I love that you bought it even though you weren't sure how to wear it! That's true creative adventuring at play :)

Panda said...

I wonder if you could wear it like a mobius? Google for images of mobius knits.

Back2genie said...

hi.. it's called button wraps.. here's a site for on how to wear it.. http://www.chloeangus.com/#/button-wraps/4525371332

Zom said...

Thank you Back2, this is a fantastic link.