Sunday, 22 May 2011

What I am Stitching Now

I now have 3 jean jackets. I don't need that many but I have been finding them in thrift stores. I want to make this one look different from the other two, and I've been yearning to do some embroidery, so...

In the past I have planned my embroidered pieces out by drawing the complete design. But I want to approach this one differently. I want to do it spontaneously, just do one bit and then another, not knowing really where I am going or what I will do next. (This is Rice's influence.)

I drew the curves of the stems with a ChakoAce fabric pen. It makes a very faint mark which is hard to see, a bit frustrating. The good part is that it disappears over time, or with water. The fabric shapes are added with applique adhesive paper, then I am doing the satin stitch over the edges. I don't think the adhesive would hold up through washing, and I think it looks better with the stitching.
I am going for a rather jacobean flower look.

6 comments:

Jeanie Thorn said...

It’s interesting to see someone try a creative process like being spontaneous and just allowing the design to emerge on its own. It sounds like this is not your typically way of doing things. Did you enjoy it? My brain doesn’t work that way. I always start with a concept. I see the finished piece in my mind first then I figure out how to build it. I make necessary adjustments along the way but the final outcome is almost always what I intended. I know what you mean about Ricë’s influence. She has the same effect on me.

susan christensen said...

Well must be serendipity: my mum gave me a cool jean jacket this past week and I am all set to embroider on it, too! I don't usually plan out my stitching, either, but just wander around like the jacket is a sketchbook and my needle is a pen. I like your Jacobean influence and your applique plan.

Zom said...

Jeanie, in my studio work I always plan. I do compositional sketches, sometimes colour sketches, and reference sketches if I need them. My art journal and the refashioning I have started to do is my spontaneous play. I enjoy it a lot. I find the balance is very good for me and my artwork.

Susan, yes serendipity! We can work on them together! I hope you will consider posting yours in progress. I would love to see what you do.

iHanna said...

Love the look of this one so far, makes me think I need to look for another jacket to experiment on too! Thanks for sharing!

nollyposh said...

~Gorgeous!~ i remember a high school friend (to get a few dollars together) used to do such applique` ...She would get you to sketch your design & then put it for you on the back (& front in my case) of a jeans jacket in applique` ...And i STILL have mine! X:-)

Zom said...

Vicki, what a cool idea - appliqueing people's sketches. Can you post a photo? I would love to see it.